I can't reach my file anymore. finsave.tmp error!!!

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ngawethuu

Post by ngawethuu » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:28 pm

While i was saving my file, Allegro quited without saving and my file was erased. Is there a way that i can bring the file? :(

mvoogt

Post by mvoogt » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:25 am

Ouch! do you have auto save and backups turned on under finale program options? If so, Finale should have been auto saving your files all along. Go into the program options and see if you have that set up. If so, you should be able to see the directory that it is saving those auto save files or backup files to. To find that just go to the finale program options (not to be confused with document options) and click on "Folders". Let me know if that helps

-Matt

ngawethuu

Post by ngawethuu » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:12 pm

Thanks for your reply Matt.

I did a search right after the files were deleted and they were gone. I did it again and again but nothing came up -for *.mus and *.bak files-
Before the files were deleted, i was trying to save them and Allegro was giving an error message like "finsave.tmp error" -which i am not sure, i can't remember exactly-
Even though i copied all of the file to a new document and tried to save it, it didn't work. Instead it kept on giving the same error message. When i finally closed Allegro without saving -which i had to-, my file was gone.

But after a lot of search, i managed to use a Data-Recovery program and recovered .bak file from the erased file. Although i did all the steps written in MakeMusic Website which are:
"

1. From the File menu, choose Open.
2. Set the Files of Type drop-down to All Files.
3. Find the backup file you wish to open (these files will have a .BAK extension).
4. Select the file and click Open. "

Allegro gave me an error message which is "Invalid File Type: file ...-location here- "
What am i supposed to do now? I tried almost every possible situation -changing the file type, opening in Finale 2008 etc.-

I hope i can solve it...

Thanks
Finale Allegro 2007b, Finale 2008
Pentium IV 1.8 Ghz, 1,5 GB Ram
Windows XP
M-Audio 2496 PCI Sound Card
M-Audio Keyrig Midi Keyboard
AudioBuddy Dual Mic Preamp/Direct Box

mvoogt

Post by mvoogt » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:13 pm

can you upload the file so I can take a look at it?

ngawethuu

Post by ngawethuu » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:28 pm

can i send it to your e-mail if it's ok for you too? i didn't find out how to upload it right now :)
Windows XP

mvoogt

Post by mvoogt » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:52 pm

hello again. Ok I checked out that file you sent me and yeah, it doesn't look to promising. Usually with those .bak file you just change the extension from .bak to .mus and then finale will recognize the file and open it. That would always work for me. However when I do that with this file it still will not open which leads me to believe that this file as well is no good. You may try that trick though on your machine and see if that works.

ngawethuu

Post by ngawethuu » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:13 pm

Oh, that's bad.
And i changed the extension and mine didn't work either. My last hope is the MakeMusic support center. I am waiting for a reply, then i will send the file.
Therefore they are the coders for .MUS files.

Thanks for your concern by the way.
Windows XP

zolwaterhouse

Post by zolwaterhouse » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:18 am

I had the same thing happen to me last week!

I was just working and then hit Ctrl-S and I saw the same error, so I went through many of the same steps, but the file was gone. Only the previous version (I had an older version of the file with a May date in the title and had since then re-saved with a July date) remained, but it was like I hadn't touched it since then at all!

I assumed that it must have been a virus on my computer and, after much groaning and moaning, started up on the work again today. It wasn't until I saw that someone had the same Finale problem as me, that I suspected otherwise...

I'm also using Finale 2008. Hmm....
-Zol Waterhouse

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:10 am

Sorry to read about your problem. To avoid losing files in the future, maybe you should consider automated backups, like Time Machine (on the Mac, every hour) or even better, backup of ALL consecutive versions (each time your file gets saved). An excellent solution I would recommend is Dropbox (PC & Mac), to save all the consecutive versions of a file on-line. Any version can then be restored in minutes. And it is free, up to 2Gb.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

zolwaterhouse

Post by zolwaterhouse » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:47 pm

That's a good idea.

I'm a little disappointed that such borderline-obsessive back-up steps need to be taken to avoid losing one's Finale work, but I guess it is what it is.

Thanks for the suggestions. I might do that, actually.
-Zol Waterhouse

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:41 pm

Actually Dropbox works in the background, there is nothing you have to do, except dropping the file into the Dropbox folder, and save your file very often. Each time the file gets saved, a copy is sent to the server automatically, you won't even notice it.
Then you have access to your own protected space on the web, where you can see all your backups (all versions), and any version can be restored to your hard disk. It couldn't be simpler.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua