Instrument Names on multiple pages

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

gangemi

Post by gangemi » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:18 pm

Sorry if this has been answered a million times, but I am having a very hard time formatting my pages in Finale 2007 where the instrument or part name shows up on all pages next to the song name. Is there something I am not seeing in the user manual on how to do this?

Wain

Post by Wain » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:27 pm

If you select the staff tool, then double-click on the particular staff you wish to edit. At the staff edit menu that pops-up, you can define the "full staff name" (this is the name of the staff on the first page), and "abbreviated staff name" (how the name appears on the following pages.

If you wish to move the staff name you can get a handle for it by selecting the staff tool as well.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:05 pm

If I understand you correctly, you actually are referring to the instrument name showing up on top of each page ?
If you only want it on page 1, select the text tool, select the instrument name then in the Text menu (or using the contextual menu), (edit) frame attributes.
There, select : attach->single page : 1.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

gangemi

Post by gangemi » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:29 pm

michelp wrote:If I understand you correctly, you actually are referring to the instrument name showing up on top of each page ?
If you only want it on page 1, select the text tool, select the instrument name then in the Text menu (or using the contextual menu), (edit) frame attributes.
There, select : attach->single page : 1.
That will work, thanks. I was thinking more about having the instrument name appear at the top of the page (every page after page 1) after the title. For example:

Concerto in G Major - Trumpet 1

The "Concerto in G Major" part already is there by default, but I know there is a way to add " - (instrument name)" without manually typing it in on each page. I just can't find out how. I was told once but I have since forgotten.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:45 pm

gangemi wrote:I was thinking more about having the instrument name appear at the top of the page (every page after page 1) after the title. For example:

Concerto in G Major - Trumpet 1

The "Concerto in G Major" part already is there by default, but I know there is a way to add " - (instrument name)" without manually typing it in on each page. I just can't find out how. I was told once but I have since forgotten.
You can use, in the text tool menu, Inserts->Part/score name. Actually, the fastest way is to enter it on the score, before extraction (if needed in a special copy of the score). It will appear as "Score" on the score, and as the instrument name on the part. Before you extract parts, apply my previous advice to this text to decide of the page range in which it will be displayed.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Wain

Post by Wain » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:04 am

yes, thanks to Michelp, I was misunderstanding your issue.