Default part page layout

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jsantana

Post by jsantana » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:02 am

Since I have to produce parts for a full orchestra, it would be a major benefit if I could learn the fine points of adjusting the layout of some sort of "master part" rather than adjust each and every part manually, which is what I've done in the past.

Specifically, placement of the title, instrument designation, composer name, and other text is what I'm having trouble with.

Is there some place to arrange these on the page for the parts as the is for the score? I suspect there must be but I'm getting SO tired of looking through every topic in the help file that MIGHT contain the answer, but doesn't.

Have to generate parts in the morning so I hope someone comes to my rescue!
JS

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:05 am

Default score page layout:
Document menu > Page Format > Score...
Default part page layout:
Document menu > Page Format > Parts...

You can still give individual pages and systems a different layout.

If - On The Other Hand - you want to "remove individual page/system layout customizations", and reset pages and systems to the Page Format settings I mention above, use the command "Redefine Pages" in the Page Layout menu.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

jsantana

Post by jsantana » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:46 am

Thanks for this. What I would still like to do is place the various text in the same position on all the parts.

For example, the name of the composer. I have it where I want it on the score, but it needs to be adjusted manually on every part. Is there a way to adjust it on one part so that it appears on the others at the same position?
JS

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:48 am

jsantana wrote:Thanks for this. What I would still like to do is place the various text in the same position on all the parts.

For example, the name of the composer. I have it where I want it on the score, but it needs to be adjusted manually on every part. Is there a way to adjust it on one part so that it appears on the others at the same position?
Many of us create a duplicate of the score just for part extraction : before creating the parts, several elements can be added, modified, moved (texts, measure numbers, cue notes etc...). A title for instance can be placed in a position that better suits parts before parts get extracted.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:57 pm

jsantana wrote:...What I would still like to do is place the various text in the same position on all the parts.

You can do it with a workaround:
While viewing the score, position the text block so that it's positioned the way you want it it the parts.

Now the text block in the score is not where you want it in the score.
To correct that, hold down the override key, and drag the text block in the score.
This step will unlink the positioning so that the text block positioning isn't altered in the parts.

Peter

jsantana

Post by jsantana » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:30 pm

Thank you very much. This explains why I couldn't find the answer in the docs--there isn't one, and a workaround is needed.

That's fine with me. I just need some way to do it and you guys saved me.
JS

homebilly

Post by homebilly » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:20 am

hi peter, great help

just a question
what is the over-ride key?

ron

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:22 pm

homebilly wrote:hi peter, great help

just a question
what is the over-ride key?

ron
In Mac Finale the Over-ride key is the Command key (Cloverleaf key).
I'm not sure about the Over-ride key in Win Finale - perhaps the Ctrl key?

homebilly

Post by homebilly » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:44 pm

thank you peter

you have been answering all of the questions that i have had without me even asking them. i love this forum

thanks