Changing Group Names

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:36 pm

Is it possible to switch between two different group names?

For example:

I have the Celeste and Piano sharing the same two staves and want to have the abbreviated names switch in the left margin area when the instrument does.

-Ryan

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:24 pm

My first answer, as far as I know, would be no. But maybe this idea as a workaround : in the staff attribute window, use a staff name (piano) just for the top staff, not for the bottom one. Both full and abbreviated name.
Position the top staff name really low, so it gets centered vertically between the 2 staves.
Don't enter a name for the group.
Create a staff style for the name of the second instrument (celesta), both full and abbreviated name. Again, position the staff name really low, so it gets centered vertically between the 2 staves. Apply the staff style to the top staff after selecting the appropriate region.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:54 pm

Excellent! Thanks, Michel.