Chord symbols & note resizing

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

lone arranger

Post by lone arranger » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:30 pm

Hi there. I'm using Finale 2003. I tried to reduce the size of some notes in a piano part using Mass Edit/Change/Note Size. The notes in question have chord symbols attached to them and unfortunately their size is affected as well. Is there a way to resize notes in a region independently of the chord symbols? While we're on the topic, is there a way to change the size of chord symbols in a region (symbol, suffix and all) without having to change the fonts in Document Options? I'm sure the answers to these questions are right under my nose, but sometimes it's hard to know where to look. Any input would be appreciated.

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:14 pm

There may be other solutions, but one way is to copy the notes w/ chord to a layer you hide with a staff style.
When you have done that, you can remove the chords from the original layer.
In the hidden layer, make sure that "Show Items Attached To Notes" is selected in the staff style.
Now you can resize notes and chords independently by resizing one layer or the other.

You probably will find good use for
View menu > Show Active Layer Only
since this command actually means "Edit Active Layer Only" (and it ought to be located in the Edit menu instead!).

Peter

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:39 pm

lone arranger wrote:I tried to reduce the size of some notes in a piano part using Mass Edit/Change/Note Size. The notes in question have chord symbols attached to them and unfortunately their size is affected as well. Is there a way to resize notes in a region independently of the chord symbols?
Another little idea :
Create a third staff for the piano, place it where most of your chords will appear; or at a place where it doesn't disturb the other staves.
In staff attributes, define the staff as 0 line. Hide unnecessary items : clefs, key & time signature, etc...
Add the new staff to the piano group, so it gets extracted with the other 2.
In the new staff, enter rests, real rests, in the regions where you need to enter chords, so you can can attach chord symbols to them.
Enter the chords
Apply staff style "blank notation" to hide the rests.
What you have now is a blank area with only chords. Make some manual adjustments of the chords if needed.
This way at least, chord symbols will have the size that you have defined as default. The method can be used in the specific regions where note sizes were reduced.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua