Rhythmic dictation above stave?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Samantha

Post by Samantha » Thu May 14, 2009 2:47 am

Hi guys,

Does anyone know how to enter rhythms ABOVE the stave that relate to the chords rhythms that are meant to be played? It's for a lead sheet situation where I'm needing to specify the chord rhythms with anticipations etc.

Cheers and thanks for your time,

Samantha

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Thu May 14, 2009 10:08 am

I assume that you don't want to use the staff style "rhythmic notation", which places the accents in the middle of the staff (although you could modify the default height in document options).
You can create the accents on top of a staff with another method (the following procedure is possible in the full version of Finale):
- select another layer than the one which contains the notes
- enter the accents on or above the top line
- when you are done, select that layer, select "show active layer only", select the region and change globally all the noteheads to an X or a / (Utilities menu->Change->Noteheads)
- as you don't want to hear these notes in the playback, in the instruments list, make sure that that layer is muted or has no patch attached to it.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

joe beans

Post by joe beans » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:07 pm

Hi Michel,

I am trying to do the same thing that Samantha was but I am using Finale 2003 and I can't find "the show active layer only" anywhere.

The only thing I can find under "Document Options" in "Layers" is a "hide layer when inactive" and it doesn't seem to do what I'm looking for, because the layer is active I presume when there are notes in it. Sorry if that's confusing.

Do you know if your advice only applies to newer versions of Finale. Thanks for your help.

Sam

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:12 pm

Hi joe beans,

I could be wrong here, but I seem to recall that the menu item "Show Active Layer Only" is available in Finale 2003.

However, in Finale 2003 "Show Active Layer Only" may be in another menu.

Take a look in the various menus of Finale 2003:
- Edit menu
- Mass Mover menu
- is there perhaps an Options menu???
- or a View menu???
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996