Maj7-chords, type into score

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

kjasp

Post by kjasp » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:17 pm

I like using the triangle symbol for Maj7-chords. When typing into score, what key do I use to get this suffix? When doing it manually, I can see that in the dialogue box it says C with a plus above a minus after it. But how do I do this? Anyone?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:30 pm

To see where it is, type (for example) C:0 (That's a zero, not an O.) That will take you to the chord dialogue box. Find the triangle. In PrintMusic, it's in box 65. Remember the number. Then, to enter that chord, I would type C:65. When you shift to the next entry, it will show C(triangle).
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:43 pm

kjasp wrote:I like using the triangle symbol for Maj7-chords. When typing into score, what key do I use to get this suffix? When doing it manually, I can see that in the dialogue box it says C with a plus above a minus after it. But how do I do this? Anyone?
I also use the triangle.
First, I think you should add this symbol to your chord suffix library (when done, save it and load it in your templates).
Then, when you enter that chord into a score, after the root, try typing letter Y. That works for me, with fonts like Maestro, Helvetica...(but I use an azerty keyboard...)
(PS : I took some time to design my own chord library, with all the symbols I like, etc...and it is now loaded in all my default files and personal templates. It is now saving me a lot of time and at least the suffixes look the way I want).
Last edited by michelp on Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:20 pm

kjasp wrote:I like using the triangle symbol for Maj7-chords. When typing into score, what key do I use to get this suffix? When doing it manually, I can see that in the dialogue box it says C with a plus above a minus after it. But how do I do this? Anyone?
Are you using Windows Finale or Mac Finale when you are in the mode "Type Into Score"?

In Windows Finale you can type the triangle symbol with Alt-0177 (type the four digits on the NumPad, not on the QWERTY keyboard).
It sounds complicated to do so much for typing a single character, I know, but you can make it simpler by using a Windows utility, like e. g. AllChars.

In Mac Finale the triangle symbol is Shift-Option-= (provided that you are using the american keyboard layout).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:30 pm

If playback is an issue, The C/triangle does not play back a major 7 chord, nor does the fretboard show one. CMaj7, however, does.
I guess if you have the full Finale, you could reprogram the playback and fretboard to be correct, if it matters.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:45 am

miker wrote:I guess if you have the full Finale, you could reprogram the playback and fretboard to be correct, if it matters.
Yes, I confirm it is possible, I did it. But for a long time, I don't use playback of chord symbols, they don't sound too good. No voice leading, funny ranges, and most of all, they interfere with the judgment one can have of the rest of the score. They sometimes make it difficult to actually hear what the rest of the band actually sounds like.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua