Different Font Sizes for Expressions in Score and Linked Pts

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

cshaku

Post by cshaku » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:56 pm

I'm desperately trying to avoid creating a new score document just for parts, but it doesn't seem like there's a way to change the size of an expression category for the parts. i.e. I've got words in the score that will also appear in the parts, and their size is 12 point. In the parts it's looking way big, so I'd like to size them down - but there's no separate definition for that it seems. Any work-arounds or blatant things I'm missing would be appreciated!

Thanks mucho!!!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:52 pm

Workaround:
Use two different copies of the expression.
One copy displays in the score only.
The other copy displays in the linked parts only.

Another solution, not quite as flexible, but perhaps good enough for you:
For the font size, use "Fixed Size".
In that way the words will appear in the same size in score and parts, even if the page scaling percentage is different in score and parts.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

cshaku

Post by cshaku » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:00 am

Thanks Peter. What a bummer! Your work arounds make sense, but I'm probably better off just making a separate copy of the score to do parts.

I hope they fix this soon! :)

Thanks again.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:08 am

Many users make a copy of the score just for part extraction.
There are many aspects one would like to see differ between the score and the parts : position, size of text blocks, such as titles, page numbers, but also expressions, time signatures etc...
Many users have asked for these improvements (the only efficient way of submitting feature requests is via their web site->support. The more users ask for a feature, the more chance they have to see it included in a future version of Finale).
In Finale 2010, one step was made in the right direction : independent set-ups for page numbers. Very useful.
Let's hope that more will be added in the future.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua