Guitar Fretboards / Fret Numbering

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

campus five

Post by campus five » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:22 pm

I'm working on writing a guitar instructional book, mostly about chord shapes. I'd like the fretboard diagrams above the staff to be easier to read on the fly. To do this, I'd like to change the fret number displayed from the default (generally the lowest fret played - and displayed on the right of the diagram), to one reflecting the fret number of the note on the lowest string.
Basically I want the number on the left side, and I want it to display the number of the fret the root is on. Like for a D9 chord with the root on the 5th string/5th fret, I want to display a 5 on the left side lined up with the root, rather than a 4 on the right side (reflecting the F# at the 4th fret/4th string).

Is there a way to this in either Finale '07 or '09?

Warren Barnett

Post by Warren Barnett » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:36 am

I am attaching an old file that Peter Thomsen sent me in 2005 that contains a rotated fretboard. You can edit the chord symbol and place fingers wherever you want them.

Also, here is a response from Peter Thomsen from 2001. Hopefully it will help. I never took note of the original question.

It is certainly possible in Finale 2001d. The Chord Tool has a Fretboard Editor:
In this example, let's say that the bass note is an F.
1. Switch to Chord Tool.
2. Chord menu > Manual Input.
3. Chord menu > Show Fretboards
4. Click the note (F). The Chord Definition dialog box appears.
5. In the Show pane, leave "Fretboard" checked.
6. If you want/don't want a chord symbol, make the proper settings in the Show pane.
7. If playback is important, make the proper settings in the Play pane.
8. In the Fretboard pane, click Select... The Fretboard Selection dialog box appears.
9. Click Create. The Fretboard Editor appears.
10. Click Edit Instruments... The Fretboard Instrument Definition appears.
11. Click New. Type a name in the Name text field (e. g. Electric Bass).
12. Set the Number of Strings (4). The bottom part of the dialog box will update when you click another text field.
13. Set the Number of Frets (e. g. 12).
14. Set the pitches for the strings:
String 1: 43
String 2: 38
String 3: 33
String 4: 28
- and click OK to return to the Fretboard Editor.
15. In the right side of the Fretboard pane you can set the number of frets you want to see displayed in the fretboard symbol.
16. The black bullet is already selected in the left side of the Fretboard pane. Click the proper fret to put a black bullet at the F position.
17. Hit Return 3 times to return to the score.
Note that you can have more than one fretboard symbol associated with a chord symbol. So you can also have a fretboard symbol for F an octave higher, even if the chord is the same.
Peter
Attachments
Horizontal Fretboard.zip
(4.72 KiB) Downloaded 222 times