Better playback with Garritan

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Victor_Andrini

Post by Victor_Andrini » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:26 pm

Hi, I'm using Garritan with Finale 2010. It's very interesting, the quality of sound is good, but I have some questions.
If I assign to every instrument (or section, for example vl.I) a channel in the instrument list, and then I choose a sound library (Violins arco), how can I listen to a pizzicato, or a tremolo, if I have only a few notes? I don't want to write them in other staves, it's not usefull.
There is a lot of way of playing that you can't hear in the playback, for example vibrato (slow, fast...), harmonics, legato, staccato, differences in bowing and so on...
Do you know how to obtain a better playback? Maybe are there better sound library that can be used with Finale?

thanx!

Victor

Warren Barnett

Post by Warren Barnett » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:26 am

Pizz and arco should playback automatically, but you need to add them as an expression, the same way that you enter a dynamic. In the Expression selection box you can see all of the techniques etc., that should playback automatically after you choose the expression. Techniques that you enter as text will never play back.

Warren

Victor_Andrini

Post by Victor_Andrini » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:40 am

I find out that with Violins Arco all pizzicati and tremoli don't work; I tried with Violins KS and it's really better!

Warren Barnett

Post by Warren Barnett » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:01 am

That does make sense.

ud dude

Post by ud dude » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:32 am

does that garritan thing work in windows 7 64 bit?
thanks
the ud dude

Warren Barnett

Post by Warren Barnett » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:15 am

yup

Victor_Andrini

Post by Victor_Andrini » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:46 am

I heard about two libraries, Vienna Symphonic Library and Ircam Solo Instruments. Do they work with Finale? Some friends told me that the first has very good traditional samples, but the second has more contemporary music tecniques. Have you got any suggestion? thanx

V

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:21 pm

Vienna works with Finale, but you need a powerful computer and lots of Ram.
They made Human Playback preferences especially for Finale so that the dynamics, articulations, etc...entered in Finale are reckognized and played by Vienna. But to go into details, a sequencer is still a better choice to finish the work.
The sounds are pretty good, probably better than Garritan, but more expensive, too. A good starting point is the bundle "Vienna Special Edition" with "Vienna Special Edition +" (which offers additional articulations).
You also need to plug into the computer a special USB key on which you can load your registration code.
See their web site http://vsl.co.at/en/65/71/84/1349.vsl
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua