os 10.6 compatibility

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Marc

Post by Marc » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:20 pm

Hi,
Last fall I upgraded my mac os from 10.4 to 10.6. Up to then I was able to open all my finale allegro files without problem. After the upgrade, the files turned really weird!

I decided to wait for Print Music 2010 and give things a try then. I just installed Print Music 2010 successfully, but nothing has changed, my files still open the way they did last year, that is they're completely useless. I also tried to create a new document using the assistant - same story here, a useless sheet of music paper.

Is there anyone who can help me. I can hardly believe that my mac has some kind of unique problem, but maybe it does.

Thanks for your replies!

Marc

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:38 pm

"Useless" is a bit vague to describe your problem.
If the notes are replaced by weird symbols, reinstall your fonts.
PrintMusic 2010 seems to be compatible with MacOsX 10.6, I didn't see any complaints on other forums.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Marc

Post by Marc » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:26 pm

Hi michelp
Thanks for your answer!
I'm not writing this from home, so I'm not on a mac just now.
I'll try to include a screen shot of what appears on my screen when I open a file - maybe that would be helpful in trying to find a solution to my problem.
Oddly enough, Sibelius runs without any difficulties.

Marc

michelp

Post by michelp » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:40 pm

Ok. Meanwhile, have you tried to trash the Finale Preferences file ?
Quit Finale, trash the preferences file, re-launch Finale.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Marc

Post by Marc » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:42 pm

Hello Michel,

Thanks for your answer - how do I trash the preferences file exactly, where is it?

In the meantime here is some information for you:

I was able to solve the problems with Print Music / os 10.6 today – maybe this information will help:

In my case I was able to open the files and to read text, however, any musical symbols were completely mixed up (the screen shot supplied by Max Hamburg on Sept 4 2009 in « Osx 10.6 compatibility ? » is just about what I saw on my screen). So, the problem seemed to be with the maestro fonts, not with the text fonts.

Apparently fonts can get installed in duplicate (maybe even triplicate) when you install new programmes, and this can cause confusion.

Try this:
Open your font book (in applications), use search to locate the maestro fonts, use edit to « select duplicated fonts », then edit – « resolve duplicated fonts », open Print Music and open a file – this worked in my case.
Unfortunately, it's not a clean fix, because mac doesn't save these changes, so you have to go through the same procedure every time you restart your computer (Maybe this is necessary, because the commands may have an effect on other programmes. In my case Sibelius didn't open properly anymore; the text shrunk to an unreadable midget size – it returned to normal after a restart.)

So, this is as far as I have got. Is there anybody who understands what is going on here and how a more permanent fix could be achieved?

Marc

michelp

Post by michelp » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:36 pm

There must be a way delete all the music fonts (Maestro, Jazz, Engraver). Then reinstall the PrintMusic fonts.
To delete and rebuilt the Finale preferences file is a recommended procedure when Finale (PrintMusic too, I suppose) behaves weird.
In the "full" version of Finale 2010, it is called "Finale 2010 Preferences" and is located in user->Library(Bibliothèques in French)->Preferences.
You can also make a search on the Mac for "Finale 2010 Preferences" or maybe "PrintMusic 2010 Preferences".
Michel

dgatwood
Finale Version: 2012

Post by dgatwood » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:34 pm

Do a "find" in Finder and search for Maestro. Look at the creation dates on each file and drag all but the newest one to the trash but DO NOT empty it. Reboot and relaunch Finale. If things are still broken, get rid of that one and put back one of the other copies, reboot, and relaunch Finale. Repeat until you find the right one. :-)