Special Layout for early music

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jmsaperas

Post by jmsaperas » Mon May 24, 2010 10:39 am

Hi!! I wonder if this can be done in Finale:

Early Music 4 parts. The 2 upper parts go in 2/4. The 2 lower in 3/4. I would like to bar the music in 2/4 (upper voices) and in 3/4 lower voices, as it is done in the edition I have. Every three 2/4 bars and two 3/4 bars there is a common barline for all the voices.

Anyone knows if this can be done in Finale 2010?
Thanks a lot!!
Josep

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon May 24, 2010 3:05 pm

Here's a way:

1) Time Signature Tool.
Make the real time signature 6/4, but click the button "Options" (or "More Choices") to expand the dialog box Time Signature, and make the time signature display as 2/4.
Now all 4 staves will display a time signature of 2/4, but the real time signature is 6/4.

2) Staff Tool.
For the two lower staves, in their Staff Attributes, in the pane Independent Elements, select "Time Signature".
This step will allow the two lower staves to have another time signature.

3) Time Signature Tool.
In each of the 2 lower staves, make the real time signature 6/4, but make the time signature display as 3/4.
Now the 2 lower staves will display a time signature of 3/4, but the real time signature is 6/4.

4) Enter the music.
Add false barlines where needed.
In the dialog box
Document Options - Barlines
you can see the Barline Thickness used in your document.
To add false barlines, create a shape expression with a vertical line that has the same thickness as the barlines in your document.
To precisely cover the height of one staff, the vertical line must have a length of 24 Points.
In the Expression Designer, in the chiclet Positioning, you can customize the false barline so that it automatically positions itself correctly.

5) For rest measures, add a Smart Shape Tool line that displays a whole rest between the (false) barlines.

6) Watch out for the accidentals!
Finale doesn't understand that the false barlines are barlines!

Example attached.
Attachments
SpecialLayout.mus.zip
(4.35 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

jmsaperas

Post by jmsaperas » Mon May 24, 2010 3:51 pm

Thanks a lot Peter! I see the way, but I assume it takes a hell of time when the score is about 20 pages long and full of sofisticated Ars Nova rhythms. I wonder if Finale will make it easier in the Future versions. There is so much early music needed for a good transcription and having to use this kind of settings.

Thanks a lot for your reply!!
Josep