importing from QSE (quick score elite) to Finale

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

waterfall

Post by waterfall » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:28 pm

Often, when importing XML files, everything is not on the screen, or page, as it was in the file from which XML was exported. This is largely due to the inadequacies of the XML export from the original file from an older program. I know Dolet can improve the odds and any comments about specifically using it are welcome, but let's stay within the capabilities of Finale only for those who don't have Dolet.

Please post any tips or stories about importing XML, copying or converting QSE scores to Finale 2008 and 2010 Mac version specifically - earlier and PC versions of Finale welcome as well.

Quick Score Elite (QSE,) is an older (by software standards) PC notation sequencing program that, with effort, provided reasonably professional scores and excelled at helping the user to produce magnificently sculpted MIDI performances.

Thanks for your helpful replies.
G.P.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:07 pm

PDftoMusic Pro (http://www.myriad-online.com/en/product ... sicpro.htm) can import pdf files made from an older music notation software and convert them into MusicXML files, which Finale can import :
- File menu->MusicXML->Import, that's free
- via the Dolet plugin, which one can buy and is accessible in the plug-in menu
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

waterfall

Post by waterfall » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:28 pm

comparison of XML and PDF conversion products

My experiences with - Myriad PDFtoMusic Pro - It's not professional but it has a more than professional price tag of $199 or 199 euros. You don't get a full-featured free trial period - you get a demo that has full features disabled until you enter the registration code, forcing those amateurs with only a few scores to convert to pay the 200 dollars. :lol:

In converting a string quartet with a few bars of the cello part in the tenor clef - it did not recognize the tenor clef, only the treble and bass clefs. The tenor clef notes played back in the bass clef as if the tenor clef signature was not even there. I had problems changing the imported file in Finale, maybe the pages are locked. I'll have to figure that out. A few years ago, I tried a few Myriad products including the "top of the line" [Harmony Assistant, Melody Assistant, Virtual Singer, GOLD Sound Base, Melody Player] and found that they could not even import a complex orchestral MIDI file without bugs in the playback like stuck notes, MIDI instructions that didn't import, etc. On their behalf, it's amazing that PDFtoMusic Pro does what it does but it needs to do more to be called Pro and to cost that much. They are very proud of their products for what they are able to do. Many pages of help and forums available. You will need them. :)
G.P.

waterfall

Post by waterfall » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:30 pm

In fairness to QSE, they have a 2010 version of Level II and 12.0 which, no doubt, is considerably upgraded from my version of a few years ago.

http://www.sionsoft.com
G.P.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:32 pm

Interesting to read about your experiences, waterfall.
By the way, as you probably know, Harmony Assistant can import several file formats and is able to export them as MusicXML files.
The list is here : http://www.myriad-online.com/en/docs/diff.htm.
Unfortunately, I don't see QSE in it.
But for several other formats, Harmony Assistant (even with its limitations) could serve as a "bridge" software for some conversion needs, a feature that is often overlooked.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua