Playback in another key

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

DrumCorpsMama
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by DrumCorpsMama » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:33 pm

I inherited a Finale File for arranging for drum corps (old school G bugles). It automatically transposes the playback. I have no idea how that was accomplished, and I would love to know how to adjust playback to do that; in other words, compose in C on the manuscript, but hear it back in G.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:05 pm

I assume you mean in plays back in C instead of G.

Go to the Score Manager, Instrument List. Select the instrument, click on Transposition, and set it to G.

The close the Score Manager, pick the Key Signature tool, and click on the first measure. Change the key to G major, and select Tranpose: Down.

DrumCorpsMama

Post by DrumCorpsMama » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:00 pm

Thanks for answering; I think that's where the answer is. I'm still not sure how to manage it, though. When I tried it, it transposed my manuscript rather than change the pitch of the playback. But I did mean what I said: If I compose a song in C in the score, I want it to match the pitch of the G Bugle, which would make it the concert key of F.

This particular song I've composed in the key of G. There's no bugle on the instrument list, so I chose Trumpet in C. I want the playback pitch to be in D.

In the template I inherited, the Score Manager window has the option of UNKNOWN for the instrument, which appears below BLANK STAFF and GRAND STAFF if I click on the Instrument name and select ALL and BLANK STAFF. The UNKNOWN option doesn't appear in my current version of Finale.

alexm3912
Operating System: Mac

Post by alexm3912 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:37 am

Transposing the playback in Finale while keeping the written pitch is a handy feature for arranging for transposing instruments like bugles. It lets you hear the actual concert pitch while still notating in the correct key for the performers. Here's how to set that up:
  • Go to the Staff Attributes window (Document menu > Staff Attributes).
    Select the staff or staves you want to transpose.
    Click the Transpose tab.
    Under "Transpose notation and playback", choose "Different" and select the interval you want to transpose by. For old school G bugles, you'd select "Perfect 4th" to go from C up to G.
    Make sure "Transpose key signature" is checked so it adjusts automatically.
    Click OK and you should be all set! The notation will stay in C but playback will sound a 4th higher in G.
    You can also set this on a per-instrument basis in the Score Manager (Window menu > Score Manager). Just select the bugle staves, go to the "Transposition" column, and input "P4" for perfect 4th. This overrides the Staff Attributes setting.
    One thing to double check is that the Sound Map (MIDI/Audio menu > Score Manager > Sounds) has appropriate patches assigned to the transposed staves. You may need to remap them to a bugle patch for realistic playback.
Let me know if you have any other Finale transposition or playback questions! It definitely takes some setup but having independent control over notation and concert pitch is super useful for transposing scores.A printable calendar is a calendar that is designed to be printed out on paper. These calendars come in various formats, sizes, and designs, catering to different preferences and needs. They can be found online as downloadable template files in formats such as PDF, Word, or Excel. People use printable calendars for various purposes, including.

DrumCorpsMama

Post by DrumCorpsMama » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:10 pm

I will give this a try as soon as I can get out of the hospital (flu).
I will let you know how I make out!.
Thank you.