Adding a tie softens playback

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:44 pm

In the attached document, if I add a tie between the two "A" notes in the second measure of the choir part, the playback volume of the notation in the next measure is dramatically attenuated. The tie acts like a diminuendo!

To rule out the pattern as the cause, I changed the second note to a dotted 1/4 note and tied it to a 1/8th note then added a 1/8th rest (see third measure): the playback issue did not occur. Neither does the problem occur if written in the piano part.

If I remove the 1/8th rest in measure three and change the last 1/8th note to a 1/4, the problem resurfaces. It's as if Finale does not like to tie the notes to the end of the measure in layer 1, but not so in layer 2.

I experienced the same kind of volume drop in the past in other work but resolved it by deleting extra notes I found that overflowed into the next measure (I had "Check for extra notes" disabled in Simple Entry Options for the purpose of writing complex tuplets). But here, there are no overflowing notes.

Can anyone help me solve this mystery?

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:59 pm

Solved!

I disabled "Automatic Expression" in the HP settings that decided to soften playback in the last measure of the staff system (for the Choir part only). For some reason, the issue surfaced in only two places in the ensemble.

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by oldmkvi » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:10 pm

Thanks for the Tip!
That has happened to me on occasion.
I would just add unwanted Dynamics to correct it, for playback only.