Selecting Instruments

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

konradh
Finale Version: PrintMusic 2014a.v85
Operating System: Windows

Post by konradh » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:13 pm

I just finished a score that has a staff for a flute, and a staff for a vocal. There are chord symbols over the vocal staff. Basically, this is a lead sheet with an added staff for flute. (I like to indicate important instrumental lines on lead sheets.)

When I play this back, Finale uses Piano for the flute, and a choir pad for both the vocal melody and chords.

I would prefer to hear a flute play the flute part, and some generic keyboard instrument(s) for the lead and chords. Flute for the flute, piano for the melody, and guitar for chords would be even better.

Although I have checked Help and looked online, I don't see how to select the instruments for playback.

The MIDI settings say I am using SmartMusic SoftSynth 1, whatever that is. Clicking "Reassign Playback Sounds" doesn't have any noticeable effect.

Although I have some very good virtual instruments (Vienna Symphonic, for one example), I would be happy with General MIDI sounds for working with the score.

What am I missing? Thanks, --Konrad
Attachments
Example 1.JPG

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:46 am

On the Window menu, pick the Score Manager. There, you can change the playback sound.

konradh
Finale Version: PrintMusic 2014a.v85

Post by konradh » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:58 pm

Thank you. That did work--although it seems whatever sound plays the melody also plays the chords. That is not ideal, but it is not a huge problem.

I appreciate the help.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:36 pm

I don't use chords, but undoubtedly someone has solved this problem. Perhaps a separate staff at the top for chords, with the staff itself hidden. Hopefully someone will be along to advise.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:25 pm

In Score Manager, click the > next to the voice staff. (It looks like you have the chords assigned to that staff, but if I'm wrong, change the instructions accordingly!) From the drop-down, click on Chords, and change the instrument.Click on the attachment to see it full size.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-12-29 at 12.17.32 PM.jpg
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

msdickerson_00
Finale Version: 27.1

Post by msdickerson_00 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:04 pm

Agree with Miker. Scoremanager lets you open up each instrument into its layers and then you mute the chords layer for the appropriate instrument. Miker - I posted an issue yesterday about midi export not paying attention to the scoremanager settings for muted instruments, the same muted chords etc. I am a windows user, but so far no decent way to get a good midi export for use on a Tyros as backing tracks.