Instrument List doesn't recognize bank changes

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Butterfly Bill
Operating System: Mac

Post by Butterfly Bill » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:00 am

I have version 2011a on Windows 8

I have loaded my own SF2 file using MIDI/Audio > Device Setup > MIDI Setup > SoftSynth Settings.

I have more than one bank set up in the SF2 file, but when I try to choose one by selecting View > Instrument List > Edit Instrument and then selecting Bank Select 0,Program Change -- the playback seems to totally ignore it. It plays the bank 0 sound font no matter what number I put under Bank Select 0.

What is going on here?
Finale 2011a on Windows 8

Butterfly Bill

Post by Butterfly Bill » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:43 pm

I think the problem lies in the "SmartMusic SoftSynth" that the program pllays the MIDI instructions thru. It does not recognize different banks of the same large SF2 file. I went looking for a way that I could choose a different one, not made by MakeMusic, like Cakewalk's sfz+, but I could find one. I also searched thru Program Files x86 and the Finale folder in it for for a SmartMusic or SoftSynth folder for a .dll file that I might could copy into a folder in the Finale one, like I had to do in Cakewalk, but I couldn't find any likely candidates. Where are the files for this synthesizer?

And in Instrument List I got to a long dropdown list that says SmartMusic SoftSynth 1, SmartMusic SoftSynth 2 etc., and i thought maybe I could have two different SmartMusic SoftSynths with different SF2 files loaded into them that I could use with different instruments, but apparently that doesn't work. Apparently you can only use one SF2 at a time for everything you write in the program. What good is this list, then?

Butterfly Bill

Post by Butterfly Bill » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:41 pm

I figured it out:

In File Explorer (Windows Explorer), starting from C:\ you follow the path:

Users\[the computer user name you gave yourself]\AppData\Roaming\MakeMusic\Finale 2011\VST Support\

When you have that folder open, copy and paste the .dll file for your favorite non-MakeMusic soft synth. I like Cakewalk's sfz+ (which can be downloaded for free), so I pasted in the file sfz+.dll. (Make sure you copy and paste, and not just move it, or your other programs might not work.)

Now when I follow the path MIDI/Audio > Instrument Setup > VST Instruments, sfz+ is now to be found among the choices that are in the dropdown list under VST Instrument in the little window that appears, and the button with the little pencil becomes active, and I can push it and get the sfx+ mixer window, where I can set up both banks and patches. Then I choose Play Finale through VST after clicking on MIDI/Audio.

(But before I could hear any playback sound, I had to go back go MIDI/Audio > Device Setup > Audio Setup and select the sound card's default driver and not ASIO4all, like I do on my other MIDI sequencer programs. Finale and ASIO4all don't like each other.)