Finale playing back incorrect pitches

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

silasyates

Post by silasyates » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:07 am

I'm using Finale 2006 on a Mac running 10.3.9. I'm making a exercise where I tranpose a two-meaure segment into all keys. I do the tranpositions using the Mass Edit tool. When I playback these exercises, in some of these traspositions, Finale will play back a few incorrect pitches. I also expereienced this problem with Finale 2005. I've tried updating the layout. Nothing seems to help.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Si

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:36 am

Just a try. Are you sure that in the transposition window you didn't leave the transposition button set on "diatonic" (which is selected by default) rather than chromatic ?
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

silasyates

Post by silasyates » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:23 pm

Michel,
Thanks for replyiing. Yes I'm sure I used Chromatic tranposition in the Mass Edit because that is the only way I could perform these transpositions.

The problem is not with the transpositions. Fianle did those correctly. It simply will not play back the same pitches that are on the page. I have experienced this problem before even without transpositions. When I've made a correction, Finale will continue to play the incorrect pitch.

Si

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:31 pm

silasyates wrote:Michel,
Thanks for replyiing. Yes I'm sure I used Chromatic tranposition in the Mass Edit because that is the only way I could perform these transpositions.

The problem is not with the transpositions. Fianle did those correctly. It simply will not play back the same pitches that are on the page. I have experienced this problem before even without transpositions. When I've made a correction, Finale will continue to play the incorrect pitch.

Si
2 things :
- if in Speedy entry, you type * while the mouse is on the "wrong notes", is the note (displayed with the accidental) actually correct while the note playback sounds incorrect ? In other words, is it a display (accidental missing) problem or a real "wrong" note ?
- a classic , just in case : use the stop button in the playback window if you want to hear your modifications (not the pause button, nor the spacebar).
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

silasyates

Post by silasyates » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:28 pm

Michel,

I found the problem. I missed an accidental. Finale was right all along. How embarassing.

However, I have had this problem before where I have changed a note and Finale continues to play the orginal.

Thanks for your help.

Si