Note Not Played with Human Playback

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jettube
Operating System: Windows

Post by jettube » Tue May 01, 2018 12:26 am

I am having a strange problem with Human Playback in Finale 25, Windows version. Hope someone can help.

The following notes are entered to a new default document with two layers. If played with HP = Standard, the third note of layer 1 of the first measure is not heard, as verified by setting layer 1 to solo. Same when exported to a MIDI file. If played with HP = None, then it is heard. In both cases, the second measure is played correctly.

[img]
HP Problem.jpg
HP Problem
HP Problem.jpg (6.83 KiB) Viewed 3605 times
[/img]

Is this a bug of HP? If not, how to make it work? Thanks!

FwL
Finale Version: 2010, 25.5

Post by FwL » Tue May 01, 2018 12:47 am

The note is the same in both layers. It isn't possible to play more than one instance of a note simultaneously on the same channel. This is a MIDI limitation, not a Finale or Human Playback limitation.

You'd have to set each layer to play back on a separate MIDI channel to get correct playback.

Search "Multi-part staves, instrument doubling, and channel assignments" in the help files.
A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules... often with the aid of unsuspecting musicians - Frank Zappa

jettube

Post by jettube » Tue May 01, 2018 1:09 am

FwL wrote: You'd have to set each layer to play back on a separate MIDI channel to get correct playback.
Thanks for the quick reply. I forgot to mention that I did set each layer to a different channel and different program, then set layer 1 to solo. It is clear to hear that the 3rd note is not played.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Tue May 01, 2018 1:46 am

This is unusual behavior. You might want to report this to MM.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by oldmkvi » Tue May 01, 2018 7:26 pm

Do you Pan the Instruments?
I always do.
Might help.
Dynamics might help too.

Maybe there's too much reverb.
I like the Dry Setting.

HP plays super legato.
Maybe a marcatto setting would create the slight space between notes that real Players might do .
The attack you aren't hearing may just be merging with the release of the previous note.
What Inst are you using?

OK, probably it's none of these things...

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Tue May 01, 2018 11:23 pm

Or, since it’s supposed to emulate a human musician, maybe he missed the note... :mrgreen:
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

jettube

Post by jettube » Tue May 01, 2018 11:33 pm

oldmkvi wrote: OK, probably it's none of these things...
I just created a new default document and entered the notes. So everything is the default setting, other than layer 1 = piano to channel 1, layer 2 = clarinet to channel 2. Then layer 1 is set to play as solo. The second measure is copied from the first measure with one note change for comparison.

For even more comparison, I changed the 2nd half note of layer 2 in the first measure to two tied quarter notes, as in the third measure below. Both measure 2 and 3 have no problem when played back! Strange!
Attachments
HP Problem 2.jpg
HP Problem 2
HP Problem 2.jpg (7.53 KiB) Viewed 3364 times

gogreen
Finale Version: Finale 26.3

Post by gogreen » Tue May 29, 2018 11:05 pm

Maybe a marcatto setting would create the slight space between notes that real Players might do.
I encounter this problem often in HP. To work around it, I've created macros with FinaleScript that shorten note durations by 95%, 90%, and 85%. These values are the three shorter durations I most often use in various situations to obtain a more natural sound, especially with woodwinds and brass.

A Marcato setting? Is this an HP style or do you mean the articulation?
Art
Finale 27
NotePerformer, GPO5, COMB2
MacOS Ventura 13.6.4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRHBTHT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=%22Arthur+J.+Michaels%22&qid=1593016536&sr=8-2