tempo changes revert back to "original" tempo

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

schuiftrompet
Finale Version: 25.5.0.290
Operating System: Windows

Post by schuiftrompet » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:44 am

Hi guys,

I've been using Finale for years now, but this is the first time posting on this forum.
I hope this question hasn't been asked too many times already, but here goes:

first of all: I'm using Finale v25.5.0.290 on Windows 10.

I'm currently transcribing Oregon by Jacob de Haan into Finale, which is great, but I'm running into a problem with the tempo changes.
I put the standard tempo as 120 for a quarter note. the piece starts at 72, which I put a tempo mark for, and this works. However after a couple of measures it puts itself back, to 120 by itself. Later the tempo is changed to 152, same story, it works for a couple of measures and then it reverts back.

I have tried turning off HP, this works, but on the other hand it also ignores dynamic changes. This isn't good because HP is supposed to specifically handle this kind of thing, and besides it doesn't "really" solve the problem anyway.
I have also tried to take the first ~30 measures for the flute into a seperate file, it works fine there. After this I made the new file from scratch with all the instruments, and sure enough, the problem is back.

Is there any way to fix this? Or are there people who recognize this problem? I've looked at other post that have similar problems, but none of them seem to have a real way to solve the problem.

Thanks in advance!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:51 am

Three things control the tempo in Finale:

MIDI Tool (= the recorded tempo changes)
Expression Tool (= the expression tempo changes)
Playback Controls

And they work in a hierarchical fashion.

The tempo in the Playback Controls is overridden by an Expression that sets a tempo.
This is overridden by the MIDI Tool, which is at the top of the "Tempo Hierarchy".

1) From your description I suspect that there are some recorded tempo changes in the document.
As a first step I would clear the document for recorded tempo changes (to play it safe, try the following in a duplicate copy of the document):
Selection Tool.
Select All.
Edit menu > Clear Selected Items…
In the dialog box Clear Selected Items, de-select everything except Tempo Changes.

2) If clearing tempo changes does not solve the problem, try clearing all expressions.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996