Pizz / Arco

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

brent3544
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by brent3544 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:45 pm

Running Finale 2014.5.6359 on Win 7. In a chamber ensemble, strings are pizz at times, and arco at other times. When I playback using playback control arrow in the playback control window, everything works fine. When I want to skip to a particular section and listen to a short selection using <spacebar> <left mouseclick on starting measure> the playback uses the arco/pizz status most recently used with the playback control arrow (not the current playback location) -- it does not recognize marked arco/pizz changes. I need to work around this so I can skip around and listen/edit small sections within the piece. Two ideas I tried to figure out (but could not) are ...

(1) Manually set arco/pizz settings for each instrument before using <spacebar> <left mouseclick>
(2) Make the arrow in the playback window start at a particular measure other than the first measure

Thanks for any help.

- Brent -

FwL
Finale Version: 2010, 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by FwL » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:23 pm

The second issue can be addressed in playback settings.

Click the speaker/gear icon next to the tempo window. In the middle of that window you should have the options that define where playback starts and stops. These settings are document specific, so you have to set them for every new piece you work on.
A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules... often with the aid of unsuspecting musicians - Frank Zappa

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:18 pm

The spacebar method is designed for "quick and dirty" playback, and HP is not engaged. it's really just a pause/continue setting. You have to use the controls for playback to recognize many things.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society