Corrupted AIFF files

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Al Fine
Finale Version: Finale 25.2.0.79
Operating System: Mac

Post by Al Fine » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:10 pm

Well, one problem solved, only to be replaced by another...while some of my newly created AIFF files exporting just fine, a couple of them have scattered moments of a kind of static sound to them (almost like a scratchy LP) when opened in iTunes. The weird thing is, that when I delete the corrupted file and create a new one, sometimes the problem repeats itself, sometimes it doesn't. I'm wondering if the problem is related to the speed at which the AIFF is being created (similar to when you burn a CD at too high a data rate)?? In any case, like other problems I've had, the inconsistency is puzzling. Thanks in advance for any help.

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25

Post by oldmkvi » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:11 am

I export Finale as Wav, then mp3, no problems.
Doesn't seem like it should matter, tho.

Al Fine

Post by Al Fine » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:36 pm

Hi, Oldmkvi, I appreciate your input. I tried the WAV format, but iTunes wouldn't read it. I did find a program on my iMac which was able to play the WAV file, but unfortunately, it had the same "static" problem as the AIFF file, so I couldn't proceed with the Mp3 conversion. Happily, after a few more attempts to export my piece as an AIFF file, it came through clean. I don't believe I made any changes that would have made a difference (it might have been that I closed and reopened the music, but I'm not sure), but I'm not complaining, heh. As I've posted several times before, it's this inconsistency with Finale that is bothersome. Another piece that presented the same problem also seemed to come through clean for no particular reason, and that was on the second try. Also, I couldn't find a way to slow down the export speed, but I would love to know if that is what is causing this problem.

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25

Post by oldmkvi » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:56 pm

In iTunes there's an option to Convert to Wave, so iTunes should read it. Check the Prefs.

Al Fine

Post by Al Fine » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:56 pm

Will do, thanks.