AIFF files still corrupted

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Al Fine
Finale Version: Finale 25.2.0.79
Operating System: Mac

Post by Al Fine » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:09 pm

Greetings all, I'm still experiencing a problem previously posted, namely, that *sometimes* my AIFF files come out with static and/or pops and cracks. And the results are still annoyingly inconsistent, that is to say, that sometimes the files come out crystal clear, even though, in such cases, all I had done was delete the corrupted AIFF file, and create another, using the same exact creation process. So the good thing is that I've found a solution in simply saving the original score over and over again until I get a clean result. However, it'd be great not having to spend so much time and effort. I'll add that I've tried switching to WAV files, but have gotten the same results. Also, each time I save a new file, if it ends up corrupted, the defects don't necessarily occur in the same place in the score as a the previous attempt. I'm using the most current version of Finale, iMac 10.11.6, and opening the AIFF on iTunes. Thanks, as always!

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:58 pm

If no-one comes up with a better idea, you may like to try splitting your file into smaller sections and then combining them with Audacity or similar. A little tedious, but possible. Only useful if your file is rather large, the problem should not occur at all with small files.

I'm assuming that in the MIDI/Audio menu > Device Setup > Audio Setup you already have the maximum available Buffer Size and minimum Sample Rate?

I hasten to add than I'm less than expert at audio matters in Finale as I only make tangential use of this side of the software, so someone please put me right if I have this all wrong.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

Al Fine

Post by Al Fine » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:45 pm

Hi David, I was unaware of the Buffer Size/Sample Rate options. My Sample Rate was on the lowest setting, but my Buffer Size was two levels under the max, so I increased it, and have tested it on a couple of different pieces. So far so good! Thank you so much for the suggestion!

Jay Emmes
Finale Version: 25.4.1.164

Post by Jay Emmes » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:52 pm

In my experience, buffer size and/or sample rate have no effect on the occurring clips, pops or cracks. As a rule I export the audio file twice, because my audio files *always* were riddled with clips, pops and/or cracks. The second export will always (so far, fingers crossed) render a clean file. Also a bit tedious, but the only way I know of to get the desired result.
Running Finale 25.4.1.163 in OS X 10.11.6

Al Fine

Post by Al Fine » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:11 pm

Happily, I am still having great success with the larger buffering rate.