Harmonics Suddenly Not Working

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Amfortas
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by Amfortas » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:36 pm

Hello,

Recently I opened up a couple of different Finale files to find that in my cello part all of the artificial harmonics (created with TG Tools) are playing back as double stops. The violin harmonics continue to play back correctly. HP is set to standard, and the instruments are all GPO and it's Finale 2014.5.

A potential cause is that I recently got NotePerformer and it was listed first in my sound map priority settings (due to using it in other files). However, I never (at least manually) remapped the instruments in any of the files where I'm having trouble. It's quite strange for only the cello (and not the violin) to be affected and for there to be no other discernable issues.

Any ideas?

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:29 pm

f you can post a sample file that doesn't play back correctly, we can test it to see if is the file itself. If it works for us, then something is up in your setup.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Amfortas
Finale Version: 2014.5

Post by Amfortas » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:16 pm

Alright so I've been able to figure out that if I go into score manager, change the instrument to something else, and then change it back to cello then the harmonics start working again. Unfortunately this is not entirely an acceptable solution because many long hours of hard work formatting get screwed up when this happens (clefs are wrong, hairpins moved etc.). It's definitely some setting but I still can't find it. Inside human playback the key switches all look right (they look the same as in another document where harmonics are playing right). I can't find anything..... Just changing the instrument in the VST bank doesn't do the trick unfortunately.
Any thoughts?

riohoule
Finale Version: 27

Post by riohoule » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:34 am

I am currently encountering this error with noteperformer 4 and finale 27.4. Suddenly, fourth harmonics processed with the TG Tools plug-in are played as double stops on Cello specifically. this hasn't been a problem before.
Attachments
harmonics.musx
(114.6 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

riohoule

Post by riohoule » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:42 am

riohoule wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:34 am
I am currently encountering this error with noteperformer 4 and finale 27.4. Suddenly, fourth harmonics processed with the TG Tools plug-in are played as double stops on Cello specifically. this hasn't been a problem before.
To add to this, I've discovered that the harmonics do work when editing the part only, but in the score it ignores the harmonic

riohoule

Post by riohoule » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:00 am

Strange fix discovered when trying to copy and paste into a new instrument track: it appears when there is another Cello in the instrument list, the harmonics in both parts work. However, when the original "corrupt" part is deleted, the harmonics are ignored again. so I'm simply going to have to leave the empty Cello part in the instrument list and hide it when working in the score.