Finale playback problem

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

cc2037
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by cc2037 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:17 am

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am having a problem with Finale playback. When I pressed play on the finale file, the file bugs and closes, saying that finale encountered a problem and had to shut down. Then, when I recovered the finale file, it was corrupted with grey "hidden" notes denoting the trills, temolos, etc of my piece. I was luckily able to rescue the file, but when I tried to play it again, it continued to shut down and exhibit the same problem. Restarting my computer and uninstalling/re-installing Finale didn't help.

I then narrowed down what I believed the problem was; when I went to my smaller files (fewer instruments, less measures) the playback had no problem. Then, I returned to the file which was originally having problems and removed some measures, and the playback worked again. However, when I returned the measures into the file, the file once again bugged and shut down. My file does have many notes on it and I suppose it is quite "dense," but the file doesn't seem too large, only being a bit over 600 Kb. Does my problem have to do with the size of my file? Is there anything I can do about this? Help is greatly appreciated, and thank you for your time.

Best,
Corey

P.S. Playback via holding the spacebar and selecting a measure to play from isn't a problem, only clicking the play button creates this bug, regardless of which measure I start from.

Edit: I narrowed down the problem even further. It seems this happens specifically when I use the trill continuation symbol on a double note in the horn. Can anyone illuminate why this is a problem?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:24 am

Most of your questions are beyond me. I do know, though, that those extra, grey notes are nor “corruption.” They are the notes that are played by those ornaments you mention. To hide them, go to the View menu, and make sure that Show > Hidden Notes or Rests (or whatever it says) is unchecked.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society