HP dynamics are upside down

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ScotBren
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by ScotBren » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:06 am

I'm having a devil of a time understanding why the playback volumes/velocities are completely "upside down" from what they should be. In other words ppp is blaringly loud and fff is ultra quiet, and everything in between is equally the opposite of what it should be.
I'm trying to apply a Jazz-style HP to get the swing feel, but when I do, the playback volumes are completely wrong.

I've also tried setting HP to "None" and using the MIDI tool to apply HP to specific ranges of measures, but it seems to completely ignore this, so that feature doesn't seem to be working either. How can this product, which is so mature, be so messed up like this? I would expect bugs in an early version, but what's going on such that I'm having issues like this in v25.5?

I've attached the .musx file, in case anyone can diagnose it or fix it. Ideally ms 1-7 would be straight, ms. 9-42 would have a jazz swing, ms. 43-50 straight again, and 51-end would swing. But I can't seem to get this HP to apply selectively to these measures. And if I turn Jazz HP for the whole score, it all swings, and the dynamics are all wrong!

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:42 pm

Can you point to where the dynamics are upside down? I added p mp f ff in one measure and it increased in volume as expected. (You've got the soprano set to solo in the score manager so that must be unchecked first). Normally the switched between swing and straight is made with an expression.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:02 pm

For starters, the MIDI Volume and Tempo Data will either over-ride, or interfere with the HP operation.

As far as swing, That can be controlled with expressions.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

ScotBren
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by ScotBren » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:58 am

Sorry about the soloing of Soprano. I did that while trying to experiment with it and isolate the problem.
Without changing anything else, are you telling me that you can turn on HP to Jazz, and the dynamics play correctly for you? It's wrong ALL OVER the score for me. Every single p plays loud and the f's play soft when I have HP enabled.
I shouldn't have to mess with any other workarounds, right? This should just work?
Did you get the MIDI Tool "Apply Human Playback" to work, setting a range of measures to either Jazz or custom standard swing?

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:38 am

Yes, I see what you mean now. It seems to be HP related. I'm afraid I know nothing about HP, hopefully someone else will.