HP and Vienna Ensemble optimal settings?

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

heinzfan
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by heinzfan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:18 pm

I'm still relatively new to VST and using Vienna Symphony Library and Ensemble with Finale and Human Playback. Because it apparently conflicted with HP, I changed the default Vienna continuous controller setting for the Y axis from cc1 to cc16. That said, can an experienced user advise what settings are recommended for the HP settings for Dynamics/Volume: specifically the "Type" and "Dynamic Approach for sustaining instruments?"
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5

Bill Reed
Finale Version: 25.2

Post by Bill Reed » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:57 pm

Are you using the VSL Special Addition? They do provide HP settings for that.

Otherwise you need to create your own HP settings. Don't use the Garritan settings (the default). Dynamic controller will depend on is you have you instruments setup to use velocity cross-fade or not.
Finale 25, Overture, Sibelius, Notion, Cubase, StaffPad
Win10 x64, 32GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
August Foster 190

FwL
Finale Version: 2010, 25.5

Post by FwL » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:53 pm

Bill Reed wrote:They do provide HP settings for that.

I was going to say that VI not working with MakeMusic to provide HP parameters to its users would be a rather large oversight.
A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules... often with the aid of unsuspecting musicians - Frank Zappa

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:25 pm

Unless I am wrong, the HP settings file for Vienna Special Edition (and only for VSE) is nowhere to be found on their site anymore.
If someone knows where it is ...
One can suspect that since Finale went 64bit, it has not been updated.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

heinzfan
Finale Version: 27

Post by heinzfan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:37 pm

michelp wrote:Unless I am wrong, the HP settings file for Vienna Special Edition (and only for VSE) is nowhere to be found on their site anymore.
If someone knows where it is ...
One can suspect that since Finale went 64bit, it has not been updated.
Thanks for all the feedback. I did download the VSL HP settings. It's still available, but you need to log in and go to the "my downloads" section and click the "notation" filter to find it. It seems to mainly set up the keyswitches for instrument techniques, which I've been doing with keyswitch dump expressions (another download from their site). I'll try their HP settings and see if it attains the effect on dynamics. Thanks again.
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5