Playback of quarter tones based on musicxml

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

thehalleyyoung
Operating System: Mac

Post by thehalleyyoung » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:17 pm

I often do algorithmic composition by generating musicxml files programmatically, and then opening in finale to render the score and export a wav version. So far, for everything that I've wanted to do (including some more advanced effects such as slide between notes or using instruments like the tabla), I've either been able to simply follow the instructions on musicxml.com, or create a new project by hand which does what I want in Finale, export that project to musicxml, and then use that as a guide. However, I've been unable to figure out a way to use musicxml to set playback to quarter tobes. The tag <alter>0.5</alter>, which is described in the musicxml website, causes the note to be notated as half-sharp, but played back as being a full sharp. Is there any way that I can include code in my musicxml file so that notes are both rendered and played as half-sharp?

If not, is there a setting I can create so that, with a single button click within Finale, I can re-render all of my half-sharps and half-flats appropriately? For instance, in Musescore (an open source notation software) with an installed Quarter-Tone plugin, quarter-tones are not rendered as such automatically, but you can re-render an entire score correctly with a single click.

Thanks!

HaraldS
Finale Version: 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by HaraldS » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:00 pm

thehalleyyoung wrote:Is there any way that I can include code in my musicxml file so that notes are both rendered and played as half-sharp?
Just in case the experts don't see your question here, there is the MusicXML mailing list where all technical things related to MusicXML are being discussed: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/pu ... n-contrib/ . Most likely, that's the place where you would get the most helpful answers.
Finale 3.0-25.5, German edition, Windows 7
trombonist, pianist, conductor / Recklinghausen, Germany

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:47 am

AFAIK, Finale does a poor job of quarter tone work. If MuseScore handles it that easily, that’s where you belong.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society