Pizzicato to Arco

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Stephen R
Finale Version: Finale 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by Stephen R » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:12 am

In a long piece (couple hundred measures or more), I mark my string sections (KS) to play pizzicato; on playback everything is fine. Then, I mark the strings to resume Arco -- but on playback the strings ignore the Arco command and continue with pizzicato. I've viewed earlier posts on related pizz/arco topics, but haven't seen this specific issue with v. 25.5 I play through VST with Human Playback (classical setting). Any solutions?

Steve R.
v.25.5
Windows 10

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:01 am

Maybe there's something hidden that is interfering. Without seeing a file, I am only guessing.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:33 am

I had this problem with Finale 2012, but have not seen it pop up at all in Finale 25.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

zuill

Post by zuill » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:14 am

When HP fails to do it, you can force it by defining the expression with key switch commands.

To add Keyswitches as Expressions
1.Click the Expression tool and Double-Click the document. The Expression Selection dialog box appears.
2.Click Create. Or, you could also select an existing Expression you would like to define to a Keyswitch and click Edit.
3.Type the desired text. Set the font, size, style, make it hidden, or apply other text attributes.
4.Click the Playback Tab. The playback options appear.
5.Choose Type > Dump. The Playback Data Dump dialog box appears.
6.For Number of Units, type 3. We will be sending 3 pieces of Data.
7.For the Top Data box, type 144. This is the message for Note On.
8.For the second Data box, type the MIDI Note number for the Keyswitch. For example, Arco = 0, Pizz = 5 in Finale GPO). For a complete list, see GPO Finale Edition Instrument Details.
9.In the third data box, type 127. Since the note is below the instrument’s range, it will not sound.
10.Click OK, OK, Assign to add the Expression. The performance style will change upon reaching this point during playback.

Zuill

zuill

Post by zuill » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:37 am

I've attached a demo file to demonstrate the keyswitch dump technique.

Usually, HP recognizes the word and triggers the keyswitch for you. In your case, that isn't happening. In my file, I turned HP off. Without HP on, the word alone does not trigger the keyswitch. However, in my demo, I defined the keyswitch dump into the expression definition. So, even with HP off, it changes from arco to pizz and back to arco.

My belief is that using this method, you will get the arco that you need.

Zuill

Stephen R
Finale Version: Finale 2012

Post by Stephen R » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:14 pm

The Dump technique works! Very nice. Thank you Zuill for the solution. Would still like to know WHY the problem exists, but assume it's something buried deep in the code.

phrederica
Finale Version: 27

Post by phrederica » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:27 am

Hello Zuill,

I tried using your create expression, dump, etc. and I can't make it work.
The sound I hear is a horrible, pulsing, loud sound instead of cello pizz (not even a cello anymore). I tried a brand new file with the default document, and it just ignores my pizz even with your create expression. Your file sounds fine on my computer, with pizz and arco. I uploaded my file.

So annoying! It used to work, and now it doesn't when I create a new piece. I just pulled up an old one (previous Finale version), and it works. The pizz settings under expression are Playback: none. Sound is "play through midi, standard human playback style.

Thanks for any help you or anyone can give!

zuill

Post by zuill » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:57 am

Key switches don't work on SmartMusic SoftSynth sounds. You need to be using sounds that respond to key switches, such as the Garritan sounds. If your staves had been assigned properly to Cello and Double Bass, then the regular pizz. would have been enough, without needing to create special key switch playback.

Zuill