Playback slow to start Finale 26(mac)

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jbmusique
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by jbmusique » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:44 am

Just so you know:
Mac mojave
Finale 26
memory 24go
intelcore i5

When I use the window "playback controls" to play my score (full orchestra), there is a delay of 3-4 seconds before it starts.
I don't use the human playback style.
This problem occurs even when I am not using the scrolling playback option.
What is very curious is that if I close the window "playback controls" and use instead the short cut "spacebar+mouse click", the playbak start right away. But sadly, by doing so, there is no scrolling.
So it seems that the window "playback controls" is responsible for the problem.
Any idea ?
Thank's !

paulkeew
Finale Version: Finale v26

Post by paulkeew » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:17 pm

I have nearly the identical problem. (I'm also on Mac Mojave and Finale v26.)
When I hit the Space bar to start playback, it starts a few beats in (or even a full measure).
Even when I use the playback shortcut Option+Space, the chord/note does not sound until the cursor moves past it. It is extremely annoying.
This is the only result I've found on Google relating to the problem. Surely we're not the only ones?

paulkeew
Finale Version: Finale v26

Post by paulkeew » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:50 pm

Could it really have been that simple? It seems like a cpu reboot cleared this up for me. :roll:
Before the reboot, I was making all sorts of adjustments to the sample rate and buffer size (under Midi/Audio > Device setup > Audio setup...) with no success. Today (after the reboot), everything is fine. But the audio is still behind the playback marker and scrubbing is a bit sluggish only when I'm using AirPods as the Output source. (After a bit more testing, it seems that the AirPods are the main culprit. After disconnecting them from the Output source, I had to Quit/reopen Finale and make sure the sample rate was 44100 Hz. Then playback was on the money again.) Here is the Audio setup comparison:

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25

Post by oldmkvi » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:20 pm

Finale files are 16/96.
Have you tried these settings?
Wireless earbuds will probably have latency.
No Speakers?