Change Instrument Dialog doesn't show all instruments

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Stephen Jones
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Stephen Jones » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:27 am

I am writing an orchestral piece with three percussion parts. The second staff is Marimba. When I try to change Marimba to a non-pitched percussion instrument, the Change Instrument dialog box does not show the complete list of instruments shown when changing instruments on other staves. This occurs only on this staff. On all other staves the Change Instrument dialog box shows a complete list of instruments. All of the instruments in the ScoreManager are set to Garritan Personal Orchestra.

Why are so many instruments on this staff not showing? Specifically, why can't I change to non-pitched percussion on this staff? Any ideas?

Please see attached screen shots.

Stephen

Finale 26 Mac
Garritan Personal Orchestra 5
Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6
Attachments
Change Instrument Dialog from percussion 3 staff.png
This image shows the Change Instrument dialog from another staff. This is what I want on the Marimba staff.
Change Instrument Dialog from percussion 3 staff.png (63.14 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
Change Instrument Dialog, Marimba staff.png
This image shows the problem: non-pitched percussion instruments (and many other instruments) are not found in the dialog box.
Change Instrument Dialog, Marimba staff.png (57.64 KiB) Viewed 2538 times

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:28 am

A two staff part only allows two staff instruments as an option to which you can change. The ones that don't show are one staff instruments. They will show on other staves that are one staff instruments.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Stephen Jones

Post by Stephen Jones » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:04 pm

Zuill,

Thanks very much for your reply. That makes sense. Finale thinks that Marimba is a two-staff instrument, which in orchestral writing is rarely the case. I long ago deleted the lower (bass clef) staff from the Score Manager. What else can I do to tell Finale this Marimba has only 1 staff, allowing me to switch to other single-stave instruments?

Stephen

Stephen Jones

Post by Stephen Jones » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:53 pm

I figured this out. I now see that Finale has an instrument named "Marimba [Treble Clef]". :D

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:08 am

I recently used a celesta in a piece and wanted to write it on one staff, and Finale supplied two. I deleted one of the staves, but there was some confusion on the part of the Score Manager and some sort of remnant left over, if I recall correctly.