GPO5 percussion re-mapped, not sure why

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jguthrid
Finale Version: 26.0.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by jguthrid » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:29 pm

I just opened an orchestral score I wrote 6 months ago, using GPO5. When I play it now, the percussion mapping is messed up. For example, I have a note in the percussion staff that, when I hover over it, says Triangle Mute. That's how it sounded 6 months ago. But when I play the score now, the sound which comes out is a cymbal crash. (Not quite the same effect!)

Where should I start looking to troubleshoot this? I see there are layers upon layers of abstraction between the score and the Aria player for a mixed percussion staff, and I'm not sure where to begin. This is the same computer and setup that I used to write the score; the only things I consciously changed were probably a Finale update or two.

Finale for Windows, just updated to version 26.0.1

-Joe

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:53 pm

jguthrid wrote:I just opened an orchestral score I wrote 6 months ago …

… Finale for Windows, just updated to version 26.0.1 …
You tell that you wrote the score 6 months ago, and just updated to v26.

My first guess would be that the version update is the culprit.

In the new v26 there probably are some new and different Percussion MIDI Maps.
Try copying the old Percussion MIDI Maps from the prior Finale version (6 months ago) over to the new v26.

Percussion MIDI Maps are program specific. They are located in a special (program) folder where they are available to all Finale documents.
This means that the Percussion MIDI Maps are not located/saved inside each Finale document.

You probably know that Percussion Layouts are document specific (= saved inside each Finale document).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

jguthrid
Finale Version: 26.0.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by jguthrid » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:49 am

Excellent suggestion!

Once I knew to look for info about percussion MIDI maps, I quickly found that there is a column in the Score Manager for choosing them. This column was hidden for some reason (pretty sure I never did that), so I didn't happen on it myself. Anyway, it said a Garritan map was currently selected, but when I re-selected it, the percussion began playing correctly.

Problem solved. Thanks, Peter! And thanks, Finale Forum.