library of score expressions for brass mutes, string perform

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ajgarcia
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by ajgarcia » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:42 pm

Hi. I use Finale 25 on Mac High Sierra. Though a longtime Finale user, I've only recently upgraded to Finale 25 and thus the world of keyswitches. I prefer to activate keyswitches via placement of visual Score Expressions that trigger the actions. So I have now learned how to create effective muting and opening of brass horns via Expression->Playback->Dump and entering in numbers that correspond to the appropriate keyswitches. It occurs to me that there may be an existing library of brass-muting Score Expressions, as well as a similar library of string-bowing Score Expressions, already out there that I could download, rather than custom-creating all of that myself by referring to a controller-listing in a given manual (JABB and GPO in particular). Do any such pre-fab libraries exist for use? Many thanks, Tony

apkyburz
Finale Version: 26 (+TG, Pattsn, JW)

Post by apkyburz » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:43 pm

Hi Tony,

Personally, I don't know of anyone who has made their keyswitch-library publicly available. I can see the benefit for someone in your position, but, my guess is that the demand for it has never been really high, since, for more decent mockups, folks tend to use DAWs given their obvious benefits over notation tools.

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Michel R E » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:55 pm

I'm curious: doesn't HumanPlayback automatically do all this keyswitching for you?

The only time I've had to create new definitions has been when I've used sample libraries that did not come with HP preferences already.

Most libraries (that function well with notation) usually include a Finale file with the HP definitions already in place.

I've never had to create a dump expression for strings. although I admit to making little use of more than really basic muting for brass instruments.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

apkyburz
Finale Version: 26 (+TG, Pattsn, JW)

Post by apkyburz » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:04 pm

Michel R E wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:55 pm
I'm curious: doesn't HumanPlayback automatically do all this keyswitching for you?
Hi Michel,

Well, yes and no; consider the HP preferences: Garritan, for example, has its own HP preferences catalogue. In the prefs. the expressions are defined as keyswitches. E.g.: If you install Noteperformer, you have to import its own HP prefs. too, otherwise expressions won't play back.

In OP's case, I assume, she/he's using a VSTs that doesn't come with HP prefs., which is, of course, most VSTs.

HaraldS
Finale Version: 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by HaraldS » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:30 pm

There have been some issues in the past with JABB and GPO, see this: Getting started in Finale with Garritan’s premium libraries
Finale 3.0-25.5, German edition, Windows 7
trombonist, pianist, conductor / Recklinghausen, Germany