Layer 3 Controller data not sending in Finale 26

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

shnootre
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by shnootre » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:30 pm

I am not sure if this issue is specific to Finale 26. It seems that the latest update to 26.1 actually overwrote my copy of Finale 25.5, so I don't really have a way to check.

I use Vienna Ensemble Pro hosting mainly VSL instruments for playback. I use controller 1 for dynamics (using VSL's "velocity crossfade, so that I can take advantage of all the dynamic levels - not really important for this question...)

I have discovered that midi info about dynamics is not sending on layer 3 (haven't checked the other layers). For instance, I have a staff for horns - on layer 1 I have a solo horn, and on layer 3 I have a horn ensemble. If the music is in layer 1, all the dynamic data is transmitted. But on layer 3, there is no dynamic change at all, and I can see that no controller data is being sent. This is true whether I let human playback control the dynamics (i.e. with dynamics and hairpins), or if I turn HP off and enter in commands with the midi tool.

Is this a known issue, or am I maybe missing something?

Thanks!
Dan Sonenberg
www.danielsonenberg.org
Finale 25.5
iMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2017. 32gb ram, and OSX 10.13.6 and MacBook pro 2018, 13", 2.7GHz Intel Core i7, 16gb ram, OSX 10.13.6
Vienna Ensemble Pro, Logic X, and lotsa samples

heinzfan
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by heinzfan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:16 pm

Dan, a few months back I had watched your videos and emulated your setup. After reading your post I experimented with level 3 and like you couldn't get it to respond to any dynamics when having notes in level 1 on the same staff. For playback I had assigned dynamic markings to their respective levels. I also tried assigning level 3 to a different bank but it didn't respond. Level 3 notes alone on a separate staff did respond. Also, if the notes on level 3 are moved to 2 with the corresponding assignments changed respectively it does perform correctly. Unfortunately I also removed earlier versions of Finale from the PC that has Vienna so I can't test that. I did try the test with Garritan/Aria player and the dynamics on level 1 and 3 responded correctly, so it would seem to be an issue with Vienna Ensemble.
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5

heinzfan
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by heinzfan » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:00 am

As it turns out, this is an issue with Finale, not Vienna Ensemble, Kontakt, or even Aria. A staff in the Score Manager can only be set to a single layer for expressions; whatever layer it is set to - even if for a layer set to a different channel - will cause expressions to only respond to that respective channel. The workaround, like so many others, is to create a playback file with whatever extra channels are needed and then to use it to create a print-ready file. I don't use a DAW but I wonder if using one to control Finale playback would work?
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5