Playback issues on Custom Percussion Map

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ocdrums12
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by ocdrums12 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:37 pm

I’ve been trying everything I know to try and get 3 percussion instruments to play back on one staff. It’s just not working for me. I need orchestral snare drum and bass drum, and then hi-hat cymbal (closed) on the same staff. Right now I am able to get snare and bass to sound when playing them back, but not hi-hat. Either the hi-hat note does not have any sound, or after a little bit of trying to fix the problem, the note on the staff sounds as a timpani note. I am using GPO5's Basic Orchestral Percussion sounds, but GIfF and SMSS have the same problem; hi-hat is not on that list of sounds for Basic Percussion. Does anyone have an idea why it's not playing back, and how to fix? Screenshot attached (Score Manager screenshot had to be cropped, but the blue highlight is the issue.

Windows 10 Home, Version 1903; 64-bit Operating System
Finale Version 2014.5.6359

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:06 pm

Finale uses Layouts and Maps. You have created a Layout that has sounds used from 2 different Maps. I have been able to use 2 Layers to be able to access 2 different Maps, but it is not easy. What you can do is create a new Map that has only the 3 sounds you need. Try that, and then select your new Map that would be used with your custom Layout.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

ocdrums12
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by ocdrums12 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:38 pm

I created the new map, using GIfF sounds only, those 3 percussion instruments. Still didn't work. It's definitely an issue with using 2 orchestral and 1 fusion drum kit instruments together. I don't know how to use different layers, one for snare and bass, and the other for hi-hat. I mean, I know how to use the staff layer tool overall, but when I messed with it on this specific percussion staff, nothing changed.

I would love to use just the Jazz Fusion Drum Kit sounds, but the bass drum sound is way too dry, muffled, and extremely short like a kick drum. So that wouldn't work unless there's a way to get the drum kit bass to sound like the orchestral bass drum.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:24 pm

Well, I tried creating a Map with sounds from Orch and Fusion, and failed as well. The problem is that, although you can choose the Map in the column for the percussion Maps, you can't in the column for the Sound, so Finale honors the Basic Orch Percussion, but not my Hybrid Map.

So, on to plan B. In this file (attached), Layer 1 is assigned to Basic Orch, and Layer 2 is assigned to Jazz Fusion.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."