Playback Does Not Start

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

RO_GTR
Finale Version: 14.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by RO_GTR » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:00 pm

I recently downloaded Finale 14.5 from the website on a newly formmatted computer, Windows 10. The playplay (sound) tool did not work. It does not advance. I have been using Finale since 2007 and never had this issue before. Here is a description of what occurs when I try to play a score:

MIDI/Audio > Play Finale through VST

MIDI/Audio > Device Set Up > Midi Thru > Smart

In MIDI/SetUp I have MIDI IN > Auto-Detect Input Devices (it wasn't checked by default, but didn't work anyway.)

When I hit the PLAY control on the control on the top row, a green line with an arrowhead pointing down appears at the beginning of the score, and a green bar, the type that shows when something is downloading, appears momentarily in the second have the of the second measure. But that Green tracker line at the beginning does not move. Time movement does not record and I have to stop the Play tool.

If you've seen my username before recently...doesn't it seem like I have more issues than is normal? I have this SAME issues on different computers, at least four different computers that I have used in the past 12 years.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:42 am

Do you have “scrolling playback” checked?

Yes, you do seem to have more issues than many other users.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

HaraldS
Finale Version: 25.5

Post by HaraldS » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:34 am

A visual cursor not advancing occurs when Finale waits for external MIDI synchronization (MIDI Time Code = „MTC“). I‘m not at home and can‘t say where that is located exactly. Maybe this option is selected?
Finale 3.0-25.5, German edition, Windows 7
trombonist, pianist, conductor / Recklinghausen, Germany

Florio60
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5

Post by Florio60 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:19 am

Hello RO_GTR,

just wondering if you have solved your problem, since I am having the same issue; I thought I would ask you if you had made progress before starting a new thread.

I have a brand new laptop, and used Finale (14.5) on it for the first time yesterday. Everything was going okay, except for the volume which was very low. I started experimenting with the various audio settings and, lo and behold, Finale no longer starts playback; the green cursor remains above the first note and, unless I then click on stop, the play button remains greyed out.

I thought that I had reset all the audio settings to how they were before the problem arose, but this has made no difference.

I'd be grateful for any help you're able to provide.

Florio
Finale 2014.5
Windows 11

roonleng
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by roonleng » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:44 am

Hello! I found something that worked for me.

I noticed when i hit the record button, it said something like "Finale can't record while in ReWire mode". So I figured out how to reset ReWire, by doing this:

MIDI/Audio -> Device Setup -> Reset Rewire

It forced me to close finale and when it opened, playback worked again.

Hope this helps :mrgreen: