Playback issues (mixed meter)

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

gizmosrealm
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by gizmosrealm » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:36 pm

I'm having some playback issues that I can't seem to figure out. I'm hoping you guys/gals may have a suggestion.

I'm creating a new engraving of a piece where the composer has indicated that the solo part is in 4/4, while the accompaniment is in 12/8.

Reason: my best guess is that the accompaniment is easier to read in 12/8, and the solo part is easier to read in 4/4. Measures line up.

So, in this case, the solo part has a tempo of quarter=68, while the accompaniment should have a tempo of dotted-quarter=68.

But, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get it to play back that way.

Suggestions? Thank you in advance!

RVS Lee
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by RVS Lee » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:01 pm

Hi gizmosrealm -

I assume you're using an independent TS for the solo part? If not, step one would be to create a staff style that includes independent TS and apply it to the measures of the part in question. You can then set the solo staff as 4/4.
Since the measures have the same number of equally sized beats (4 q's or 4 dotted q's) finale should play back correctly at the tempo you've set for the non-independent orchestra. (At least, it works that way for me running 25.3)

If that doesn't work for you, you can fullproof it with a somewhat more elaborate routine:
apply an independent TS staff style to the solo part (only in mms. needed)
in those measures leave the time signature 12/8 but set it to display as 4/4
apply a hidden tuplet to each measure so that the 4 q's take up the time of 4 dotted q's.

Hope this helps!

RVS Lee

gizmosrealm
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by gizmosrealm » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:11 am

Unfortunately, solution A didn't playback correctly. This is what I had already done.

Option B was a bit of work to convert all the measures to one big hidden tuplet, with the "real" time signature hidden. But, it seems to have worked. So, thank you!

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:46 am

I think it is important to have the top staff the default TS and the lower staves be the independent TS. I believe then that setting the tempo on the top staff will get things to align properly in playback. If you want to have an expression for the lower staves, then don't have it defined for playback.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."