MIDI file voicing and playback

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

RayJay521
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by RayJay521 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:42 pm

I have a Finale (Ver 25) composition that I would like to export as a Standard MIDI file (format 1) to be able to be able to play it on a Yamaha CVP-409 keyboard at my church. That composition has the following instruments: flute, violin 1 violin 2 viola, cello and piano. The playback in Finale has all of the instruments playing as intended.

After exporting the MIDI file and putting it on a USB flash drive, I inserted the drive into the keyboard and it was not even recognized. I then tried importing it into Garageband, which worked, but when I hit play, all of the tracks played piano, not the individual instruments as listed above.

This is my first attempt at converting a Finale composition to a MIDI file, so I suspect there is something I have overlooked. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

bkroeker
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by bkroeker » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:26 pm

I am having the same problem on my Windows system computer.
Created a jazz ensemble composition. Playback is fine (all instruments). But when I export to Midi, and play the midi file resulting, all instrumental sounds are "piano" sounds (except for the percussion, which USUALLY sounds like percussion (had to reassign playback sounds to fix the percussion issue)...
Did you (or anybody) ever figure out how to get the Garritan sounds into the export MIDI file?