Finale 25 stalls on playback

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Xocolatl
Operating System: Windows

Post by Xocolatl » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:50 pm

There were a few other threads that mentioned the same issue I am currently having, but they were over two years old and none of the solutions provided worked for me.

Have been running Finale 25 with no playback issues whatsoever for over a year. Suddenly, for no discernible reason, Finale refuses to play anything. The green playback cursor stops the second it hits the first note, and nothing occurs no matter how long I wait.
Trying to skip ahead a few measures during playback yields an error message: "One or more midi devices are not responding."
Playback does not occur regardless of whether it is playing through MIDI or VST.
Instruments loaded in Kontakt and ARIA are also completely soundless. This is only through Finale however, both of the standalone versions work normally and play sound just fine.
I'm usually good at troubleshooting these kinds of things, but I am totally stumped. I'm not running ReWire or any DAW applications as far as I know.

Things I have already tried:

- Resetting the program/my machine
- Running Finale with default settings
- Reloading the MIDI driver
- All available combinations of playback devices
- Unplugging/restarting my external sound device (PreSonus AudioBox USB)
- Completely uninstalling/reinstalling Finale and all of it's components

To be clear, nothing has changed on my PC. There was no update or anything, no major change in software or infrastructure of any kind. For whatever reason, Finale has suddenly decided that one of my midi devices does not work even after a clean install, and there's no clear way as to how to fix this. Please help! I make music for a living and this is not the kind of setback I can really afford for long.

I'm on Windows 10 home, 64bit

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by oldmkvi » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:27 pm

Check the Score Manager to confirm Instruments are loaded.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:51 pm

Have you filed a problem ticket? I suspect this is fairly common and they may have troubleshooting steps you can take.

Xocolatl

Post by Xocolatl » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:44 pm

oldmkvi wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:27 pm
Check the Score Manager to confirm Instruments are loaded.
Instruments fully load into Kontakt and ARIA as I stated above, but they will not play. They're definitely there, they just do not respond or make any sound.

I have submitted a complaint and am still awaiting an official response.

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by oldmkvi » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:11 am

OK, then Device Set-up is OK too?