Things I discovered about lack of sound.

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ttw
Finale Version: 27.4
Operating System: Windows

Post by ttw » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:20 am

I never had problems with sound (other than the quality) with Finale and Windows. Last few weeks I had the following which I did figure out.

Seeming random: "Audio Engine has failed to load" or or something similar.
No sound from headphones or speakers, sometimes at the same time, sometimes one or the other.

As Finale (and the speakers and headphones) worked fine on another HP laptop, I guessed it was something on my new system.

After much experimenting, I found that using Bluetooth headphones caused the problems. I had to go into Finale's Audio stuff and select the headphones as output. (Previously, I'd just plug them in or unplug them.) I also discovered that Finale co-opts the microphone array to generate its playback (or Windows does it or HPs Bang and Olufsen does. By setting the output to headphones rather than speaker, things work fine.

Unless I turn off the headphones (Bluetooth, can't unplug). Then Finale produces the Audio Engine error; locks things for a few minutes; then moves to "next audio output in order" (or something similar); the speakers (internal) now play back. (It's easier to reset the output stuff by hand, and faster.) The speakers playing from the audio out jack seem to work (USB power.)

This is just for information. Finale (and others, of course) interact with audio stuff, operating systems, and themselves, in mysterious ways. Perhaps this info can help someone who's also having with no sound.

apkyburz
Finale Version: 26 (+TG, Pattsn, JW)
Operating System: Mac

Post by apkyburz » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:30 am

Awesome, thanks for sharing.

campersand
Finale Version: 26

Post by campersand » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:54 am

Thanks, that will help me not have to restart Finale every time I unplug my headphones!
Finale 26.3.1.520, windows 11

robespierre75
Finale Version: 2014.5

Post by robespierre75 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:45 pm

Hi!

Does this have something to do with my poor audio file quality when played back thru a bluetooth speaker?

I have exported an orchestral WAV file and converted it to mp3. When I play it back with my Harman/Kardon bluetooth soundbar, the audio quality is surprisingly poor; it brawls. Whenever I use "traditional" audio cable for playback, there is no problem. Or is the problem in the soundbar?

What could I do to get bluetooth audio quality better?

Robespierre75