Certain files won't play back through audio units

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

CNG81
Finale Version: Finale v26
Operating System: Mac

Post by CNG81 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:28 am

Hello! This is my first time posting here so bear with me.

I am having an issue where certain files refuse to play back through my audio units - visually, they appear to be playing (the marker scrolls, etc.), but no sound is heard. The MIDI playback works fine on these files, however. I have done a lot of searching and gone through my audio settings, including testing the Aria Player (which works just fine) and reassigning playback sounds, but no luck.

The strange thing about this is that it only affects certain files. All of the affected files have been imported from MuseScore via XML, however it only affects some imported files while others work just fine. I can even have two files open where one doesn't work and the other does, but no amount of switching between them changes the way they're acting.

Another thing to note: some of these "broken" files won't let me select the Garritan instruments in ScoreManager. However, others let me select it and continue not to work, so I don't think this is necessarily the root of the issue (though it may be related which is why I'm mentioning it).

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing Finale to act like this? It isn't a new issue for me, it's been happening ever since I switched to Finale. I've also attached one of the files with this issue in case anyone would like to see for themselves what's been happening.

Finale version: 26.2.2.493
Operating system: MacOS High Sierra, version 10.13.6
(The files in question have also been tested on a Windows computer with the same results, so it likely isn't an issue with my Macbook.)

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Thu May 28, 2020 3:01 pm

I'm just catching up on some old posts. This file plays fine for me with audio units (VST on Windows). Did you ever get this resolved?

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

JDavidMoore
Finale Version: 26.3.0.634

Post by JDavidMoore » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:56 pm

I'm here to second this problem: Aria updated, scrolling active, banks and channels properly set. No sound. Playing through MIDI still works.

JDavidMoore
Finale Version: 26.3.0.634

Post by JDavidMoore » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:02 pm

I may have found one solution: MIDI/Audio > Device Setup > Audio Setup > then make sure the correct output is selected.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:03 pm

I just retested this on Windows and it plays properly with VST (the Windows equivalent of Mac Audio Units). So, Windows OK. It must be a Mac issue.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."