playback delayed

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jose oscar
Finale Version: Finale 27 Windows
Operating System: Windows

Post by jose oscar » Tue May 05, 2020 10:28 pm

Playback is delayed

I appreciate your help

FINALE 25.4 / WINDOWS 10
finaleforum delayed playback.musx

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Tue May 05, 2020 10:59 pm

Not delayed for me. 2 Suggestions: In the MIDI/Audio menu, click Reload MIDI Driver. If that fails, restart the computer.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

jose oscar
Finale Version: Finale 27 Windows

Post by jose oscar » Wed May 06, 2020 7:42 am

Thank you very much again, zuill.

Then the router is:

MIDI/Audio menu/ Reload MIDI Driver

wrd2255
Finale Version: 2012c.r13

Post by wrd2255 » Fri May 08, 2020 4:41 pm

I'm having a similar problem. I upgraded Finale from 2012c (which during quarantine I've become very comfortable with) to current v 26.2. I'm on Windows 10. I opened Chick Corea's Spain from my 2012c version into 26.2. I had to fiddle with tempo to match that of 2012c. It's brisk but not overly so. (quarter=120). Comparing playback of the same file between the 2 versions, that on 26.2 is stilted, as if it's having latency. It plays back with less rhythmic accuracy when it's working harder, i.e. when the music is more complex, more syncopation. This is with no other applications running. It seem likely that 26.2 has more overhead, but maybe there's some setting (like low latency playback in Pro Tools) to mitigate this? The PC is not a toy, it has 32 GB main, 3.5 Ghz Intel processor, OS is on SSD, can run Pro Tools without issue. I do have both 26.2 and older 2012c installed on a non-OS conventional hard drive (internal). Does this newer Finale *need* to be installed on the OS drive for some reason, to get optimal non-latency? Hopefully there's a setting I can try before uninstall/reinstall.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri May 08, 2020 4:45 pm

I would start by comparing MIDI playback with VST playback.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Fri May 08, 2020 4:51 pm

One thing to check is how the Sample Rate and Buffer is set up. I have found that too high of a Buffer causes stammering. Also, despite what MakeMusic says about choosing whatever sample rate you want in newer versions, I have found the greatest stability when both the computer and Finale run at 44,100.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

montedoro44
Finale Version: 27

Post by montedoro44 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:16 pm

I get playback delay more than I don't get it. But after trying serious interventions like closing Finale or rebooting, I discovered that clicking the Simple Entry Tool eliminates it. Also, I see that clicking Simple Entry Tool entails about a half second delay -- that would indicate that Finale is busy doing something, like clearing its throat. When my midi keyboard is attached, and I notice a note-entry delay developing, clicking SET resolves that also. Do we know what Simple Entry Tool actually does when it is clicked, and is there a (Playback?) setting that would do that without my intervention? Also, if your computer does not have this tiny set-up moment, is it because you have a very fast processor, not some universal setting?

The only slight disturbance this causes is when I am running a Zoom meeting presenting music-minus-one pieces. These pieces all begin with 2 measures of countoff, and by the magic that is Finale, the countoff is not delayed, but the downbeat is, so the pieces get off to a false start. My habit is to routinely click SET before every playback -- I click it and immediately return to the Selection Tool so I don't accidentally drop stray notes around the score. So it isn't a serious problem any more, just an annoyance.

The strangest behavior is that if I leave the computer idle like say, overnight, and Finale on while the computer sleeps, the first playback in the morning has a very long delay.