Garritan Jazz and Big Band 3 No Sound, Not Playing

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Billy May
Finale Version: v27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Billy May » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:04 am

Hello, I have set up a new Windows 10 PC and installed Finale 2012c on it. I have installed JABB 3 also. JABB appears in sound mapping and also in device list in Score Manager. When selected, Garritan Instruments and SoftSync are both working; but when I select JABB 3--nothing, no audio.

Thank you for your help.

RVS Lee
Finale Version: 25

Post by RVS Lee » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:55 am

Hey there - Forgive the dumb question, but have you tried loading JABB into ARIA in standalone mode? (I once accidentally renamed a data bank folder, and Aria couldn't find the samples called for by the .sfz files.)

Best of luck!

Billy May

Post by Billy May » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:29 pm

Hi, thank you. I was just thinking along those lines, but how would I go about doing that? Also, JABB does show in the score manager device column. So it is recognizing JABB. I think.

RVS Lee

Post by RVS Lee » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:47 pm

Billy -
When you installed GIfF as part of Finale( and also when you installed JaBB) Garritan should have created 3 versions of the aria player, one of which is a standalone. (On my system, there is a Garritan listing in the start menu, and an Aria Player shortcut on the desktop. Either way will get you the standalone.)

Let me know what happens when you try to play JaBB directly through Aria.

Excelsior!

Billy May

Post by Billy May » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:06 am

Wow, this is getting interesting. I'll tell you what happens when I play JABB through Aria on my ancient Windows 8 computer--it's plays great! But on my new Windows 10 computer--well, please see the screen shots.

By the way, I did activate both Aria players. So that message no longer appears. However, you mentioned I should have three Aria players. All I've ever had were two, Aria and Aria 64x.

Thanks again.

RVS Lee

Post by RVS Lee » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:00 pm

Billy -
The three instances of Aria player I mentioned are all extensions of either the 64 bit or 32 bit versions you see in your start menu. Which extension is used depends on how you access it - Finale loads it as a VST plugin, and some DAWs would load it as an AAX extension. When you access aria directly it loads as an exe application (TMI?)

Anyway, your "troubles" jpeg suggests my instincts were correct...

You installed JABB separately from Finale (?); JABB created a different directory and file path (basically not looking to see if there was an Aria instance associated with another Garritan product already on the machine.) You probably don't have 2 Aria players - 32 and 64 bit (each with 3 extensions.) You have 4 - 2 in the Finale/GifF directory, and 2 in the JABB directory.

Because Finale assumes that you might want JABB instruments, Score Manager has found the JABB directory and made those instruments available when you set up the document. It can pass on the instrument (.sfz) files to the loaded Aria player. But... the Aria instance in the finale file path does not know to look in the JABB path for the actual audio samples, and can't find/load them. So, no sound.

At least that is what I think is happening. It should be relatively easy to add the correct additional file path in Finale's VST plugin. Open Aria player *in Finale* (ctl-alt-i) and look in the "settings" sub-window.

Good Luck.

Billy May

Post by Billy May » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:03 am

Well, actually, all's working well now. But it was thanks to you that I got everything working. You see, last night I uninstalled / reinstalled ( for the probably 40th time). Both Aria players were installed with Finale 2012c. I had never played JABB through Aria as a stand alone. However, I now did so as you instructed. But I was hearing garbled sounds. So I uninstalled only Aria. Then I went to the website and installed the latest version from 2019.

And now I can play through Aria. And all the JABB sounds (And Garritan Sounds for Finale, Soft Synth, ARIA) play in Finale.

However, I now only have the Aria 64x player. I'm OK like this unless you think I need the other Aria players?

Also, I can't see how to open Aria in Finale. Do you mean to select it from the device column in Score Manager?

Many thanks again!

RVS Lee

Post by RVS Lee » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:31 am

Billy -
Glad all is working. No need for additional instances of the player! And yes, I was referring to choosing garritan sounds in Score Manager, which automatically loads aria.

Best!
RVSL

oldmkvi
Operating System: Mac

Post by oldmkvi » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:42 pm

Hi, I've been waiting for some one to mention this-
I'm sure you are aware of the Jazz and Big Band Legacy of your name!
Billy May was one of the Greats.
I hope you some of his recordings and scores!

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:28 pm

Maybe he’s adopted the name in tribute. Some members do. Remember Aram Khatchaturian, from the old forum?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

oldmkvi

Post by oldmkvi » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:12 pm

Yes, makes sense!
It's like someone named Charlie Parker not knowing who
Bird was.

oldmkvi

Post by oldmkvi » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:06 pm

I recommend the Billy May version of JABB.
The saxes have pre-programmed scoops...!

Billy May

Post by Billy May » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:54 am

You bet, in tribute! And yes those scoops! And the Conrad Gozzo hit and release. Thanks to my dad, a WWII vet, I grew up listening to Billy May long before I knew the name! I came to arranging later in life and I'm proud to say Billy's influence on me was set very young, and I'm never afraid to let it show.

In fact, Bill Dobbins of the Eastman once graciously invited me to bring in a chart on "Skylark" for the Jazz Ensemble to rehearse. In that chart, I borrowed and reworked a section from Billy May's arrangement of "Skylark" for Ray Anthony's Golden Horn album (the first LP Dad brought home, which I still have). And, for all the students to see, I noted, at that section, "Billy May from Ray Anthony Golden Horn Capitol T-563"

I don't think you'd hear Billy's name mentioned much in college arranging courses, which is a crime, really. But maybe I made a couple of those young Jazz Ensemble players curious to check out something among Billy's massive work over the decades.

Thank you all for recognizing his mastery.
Last edited by Billy May on Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Billy May

Post by Billy May » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:58 am

RVS Lee wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:31 am
Billy -
Glad all is working. No need for additional instances of the player! And yes, I was referring to choosing garritan sounds in Score Manager, which automatically loads aria.

Best!
RVSL
And special thanks to you for guiding me along. And glad to know I won't need additional instances of Aria Player. I guess, if it ain't broke...

oldmkvi

Post by oldmkvi » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:19 pm

Hi Billy,
Thanks and agree about Billy May!

Billy May

Post by Billy May » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:40 am

oldmkvi wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:19 pm
Hi Billy,
Thanks and agree about Billy May!
Thanks very much. Good to hear from ya. I could never be more than a wannabe next to Billy May, but I hope I at least come up with a couple neat things here and there.

In 1982 I actually telephoned Billy May to ask him if he knew who scored the cues for the Superman TV series, for a project I was working on at that time. It was a very brief conversation. He named a few possible composers. I had hoped to chat a bit with him, but as you might imagine, even in that later time in his career, he was still quite busy. And that's what impressed me most about the conversation--him politely but sternly saying, "I'm very, very busy." So glad, but not surprised, he was is such demand that late in his career.