Playback of Percussion effects (diddles)

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

nikk
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by nikk » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:34 pm

Something interesting is happening in one of my files that has not happened in another file before this...and that I cannot replicate. Maybe someone here knows how to do this, or maybe it's something new...

When I write battery percussion parts, I typically have to do a full playback (via the Playback controls) in order to hear certain effects, such as rolls or diddles. For that matter, it also applies to dynamic effects such as crescendo/decrescendo, and stuff like fortepianos.

However, much of the time, I use the simple/fast playback (spacebar + click on the measure/area I want to hear). When I do this, it has never played back the percussive stuff...in other words, four eighth notes with diddle slashes on them will sound exactly like...four eighth notes. Unless I use FULL playback via the controls...then it will sound like eight 16th notes.

Well, in this particular file, I used the full playback...and then after that, it started to playback ALL the effects for me when I did fast playback as well! I started digging, and found the "Show All Hidden Notes/Rests" and saw that Finale had filled in the diddle measures with hidden playback notes...not only that, but it was (is) now playing back all the dynamic hairpins as well, without having to do full playback.
Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 10.23.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 10.23.06 AM.png (104.28 KiB) Viewed 1216 times
I cannot get this to happen on any of my other files, maddeningly enough...is this something new? Or is this some old trick that I've somehow missed over the last 25 years??? Why is it working on this one file alone, and no others? They were all created using the same template I've always used.
+++
Nikk
OS 10.15.8 (Big Sur)/Finale 26.3.1

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:16 pm

Human Playback can be "hard-wired" by using the Utility in the MIDI menu to do that. Possibly you had done that?

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

nikk
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by nikk » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:19 pm

If so, it was definitely inadvertently. How do I enable this on a full time basis?
+++
Nikk
OS 10.15.8 (Big Sur)/Finale 26.3.1