How are the VST Banks & Effects organized?

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Tomas E
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by Tomas E » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:39 pm

I've noticed that when using the Classical Guitar template the sound is loaded into Bank 2 (17-32). I thought it had to do with some kind of global setting that puts certain instruments into certain banks. Now I'm not sure. When adding more instruments they are placed in the next bank, that is Bank 3. If I create for example a SATB (4-Staff) with Piano, all instruments are placed in Bank 1(1-16). In summary I can't figure out why the Classical Guitar template puts sounds into Bank 2 while other instruments go into the first or third bank. Since I'm mostly using Kontakt for VST playback it means that I have to go into the Banks & Effects and rearrange the instrumentation every time I add an instrument. It involves deleting the Aria Player and opening Kontakt to make the corrections.

Okay, what if I make my own guitar template. I made one, placing my guitar sound in Bank 1. That worked just fine, but after having created a new file from that template, the SmartMusic SoftSynth had been added to Bank 2. Why this happens is also a mystery to me.

I haven't come any further in my investigation. In the meantime maybe someone here can shed some light on this matter?
Windows 11, Finale 27.4.1

ttw
Finale Version: 27.4

Post by ttw » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:27 am

My experience has been that when I use GPO5 or JABB3 or GWI (the main one I use), most instruments get put into a single bank (usually bank 1) sequentially into channels. Sometimes, percussion instruments will go into channel 10.

I use the Score Manager to do assignments now. I let the system put stuff in (sometimes, I'll build a whole ensemble in the score manager) then put things into their channels. For my last few dance pieces, I put the solo instrument or instruments into banks by (somewhat) type: woodwinds in 1 channel, brass in another, plucked bass in another, pianos into another, bongo, congas, timbales, into a single bank (Latin America P1) and guiros, claves, maracas (Latin America P2) into another. I try to keep instruments that have the same effects and reverb stuff in the same bank. Thus the bass and piano get a separate bank.

I also copy something from Human Playback (usually Latin or Romantic) into a custom version: the upper box gets everything set except for "Final Bars" and the bottom box only gets "auto pedaling" and maybe "Baroque ornaments" or "string harmonics."

By putting things into banks and channels using the Score Manage, I usually get things to work fairly quickly.

Tomas E
Finale Version: 25

Post by Tomas E » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:41 am

ttw wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:27 am
My experience has been that when I use GPO5 or JABB3 or GWI (the main one I use), most instruments get put into a single bank (usually bank 1) sequentially into channels. Sometimes, percussion instruments will go into channel 10.

I use the Score Manager to do assignments now. I let the system put stuff in (sometimes, I'll build a whole ensemble in the score manager) then put things into their channels. For my last few dance pieces, I put the solo instrument or instruments into banks by (somewhat) type: woodwinds in 1 channel, brass in another, plucked bass in another, pianos into another, bongo, congas, timbales, into a single bank (Latin America P1) and guiros, claves, maracas (Latin America P2) into another. I try to keep instruments that have the same effects and reverb stuff in the same bank. Thus the bass and piano get a separate bank.

I also copy something from Human Playback (usually Latin or Romantic) into a custom version: the upper box gets everything set except for "Final Bars" and the bottom box only gets "auto pedaling" and maybe "Baroque ornaments" or "string harmonics."

By putting things into banks and channels using the Score Manage, I usually get things to work fairly quickly.
Yeah, the Score Manager is okay. All staves get the correct names and you can then change the VI stuff. Still, it's a lot of work before you can actually start MakingMusic. It would be great if Finale didn't destroy the templates by adding its own instruments. Come to think of it, how are other settings affected that one make? Are there changes that one's not aware about, until you start digging in the dialogs...
Windows 11, Finale 27.4.1

ttw
Finale Version: 27.4

Post by ttw » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:48 pm

For templates, I just take file for which I like the settings; delete all (or most) of the notes; then save the file under a name I can remember. Later I can just edit that file which will even include the loaded libraries. I've got a bunch of files with nice settings but poor music; they will get opened later.