Use multiple VST samples on the same staff for different articulations?

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Drew
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by Drew » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:20 pm

I just subscribed to EastWest's Composer Cloud and I would like to use it in Finale because I hate composing on DAWs. However, unlike the Garritan Instruments for Finale, these other VST libraries are not programmed to work with articulations and usually require many instances to get the full range of a single instrument. Is there any way to program multiple instances of VSTs for a single staff? Say I want one trumpet staff and have separate samples loaded for legato, accent, staccato, flutter tongue, etc. Is this possible, and can it be programmed to activate separate samples when I add a certain articulation from the articulation menu?

Also, if there is a different notation software that is specifically designed for this feature, let me know.

Bill Reed
Finale Version: 25.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by Bill Reed » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:53 pm

Each VST instance has 16 channels. You could assign up to 4 to a staff in Finale (4 layers). But remember that Finale limits you to 8 VST instances.

If you use the EWQLSO instruments, all articulations are on a single channel, accessed by keyswitches. This would be a practical way to go. If you use the Hollywood series, with each articulation as a separate instrument you'll quickly run out of channels, though could work for smaller ensembles. You'd use channel changes instead of keyswitches.

You'll need to do the HP programing in any case.
Finale 25, Overture, Sibelius, Notion, Cubase, StaffPad
Win10 x64, 32GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
August Foster 190

Drew

Post by Drew » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:07 pm

Yes, I'm using the EastWest Hollywood Orchestra.

Drew

Post by Drew » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:24 pm

Does deleting the Garritan Human Playback preferences do so for every file in the future or just the file I am working on?

Bill Reed
Finale Version: 25.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by Bill Reed » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:36 pm

You don't want to delete them, you want to create a new set for what you're working on. Then both will be available for future projects
Finale 25, Overture, Sibelius, Notion, Cubase, StaffPad
Win10 x64, 32GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
August Foster 190