getting harp glisses to play...

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Michel R E » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:40 am

I'd like to have my harp glisses play the correct notes without having to notate a scale at every single gliss.
Is there a way around this?
or will I have to resort to a print score and a playback score? (for some reason, while this score is more complex than most I've worked on before, it actually plays back beautifully directly from the printing score).

I don't mind inserting the little septuplet (I have a nice trick using the JWChange plugin) for some instances of my glisses, but the last three pages of this score are non-stop glisses to different top and bottom notes (they sort of follow the contour of the orchestral thematic material) with the same accidentals. I don't use key signatures, so that's out of the question as well.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

RVS Lee
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by RVS Lee » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:45 pm

Michel -
I assume that you have worked with the GPO L&H instrument in 'pedal mode.' Assuming you're OK with how HP handles harp glissandi (once it's being given the correct pitches,) getting the glisses to play back correctly is straightforward, although setting up the multiple playback expressions with the necessary CC messages is time consuming.
But you mention two separate scores, so I'm guessing your problem is having both correct notation and playback in the same file. I don't think that should require two scores, but it does mean putting playback in a hidden layer and muting the notation layer.

FWIW, this is my practice:
Notate out the written gliss, and mute it (any number of ways depending on the context - JW, Midi tool, CC7 message expression)

In whatever layer I have available to hide, put in the playback gliss as start note - smart shape - last note, (start note determines duration, nu?) but using the 'white key' versions of the notes - the starting and ending string names. (So if the gliss starts on C#, enter C nat.)

Ahead of the gliss, add in the required CC message playback expressions to set the pedals.

Attach a Keyswitch = 02 'data dump' message to the first note of the gliss in order to invoke pedal mode. (For some reason, switching to pedal mode in this way only holds for the one note/gliss. to which it is attached. I sometimes add another hidden layer with a sustained midi note 02 under a passage instead.)

Hope this makes sense! Bon chance!!

RVSL