Playback Problems since last Software Update

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

oldschyotkin1
Finale Version: V26.2.1.463
Operating System: Windows

Post by oldschyotkin1 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:40 pm

I'm surprised that no one has reported this problem yet. It probably means I have something going on with my set up.

I have the latest version of Finale: V26 3.0.512 and am running Windows 10. I had some other problem a few months back and ran the updater. Everything seemed fine and it corrected the other problem....plus a couple other issues that had been bugging me. Thanks Make Music.

However..... Since the update, when I load Finale and I chose to load a previous file, it loads as normal. When I hit the playback command, it takes 3 times longer to load the instruments....All Garritan Sounds. Then, when it starts to playback, the cursor just barely moves and there is just distorted groaning sounds, nowhere near the correct pitch or sample sound. I stop it, reboot Finale, and go through the exact same process. This time it always works. Oh, well. Just an extra few minutes in my work flow. But now, when I first load Finale, I get at little warning message: "Audio Engine Error. Finale's audio engine failed to load. Please restart Finale. Error: Code 7"

Can anyone shed any light on what's going on?

Thanks always for your kind assistance.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:46 pm

An idea : in the Midi/Audio menu -> Device Setup -> Audio Setup -> Sample rate should be 44.1.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25

Post by oldmkvi » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:49 pm

I'm F25/Mac.
I have had that Audio Engine Failed to Load message once in a while, re-boot of Finale has fixed it.
I read here about a Microphone Setting that would fix it on F26, even tho there is no Use of the Mic, but a certain setting was needed, for some unknown reason.
Maybe someone here will chime in about that.
In Audio Device Set-up, I use 96/4096 as Sample Rate and Buffer.
Less than 4096 produced stuttering.
Finale Exported Files are read as 16/96 by my Playback Software.
I wish it was 24/96.
I don't see any reason the Sample Rate Should be 44.1, but it Should work with either.
Good Luck, I hope you can work this out!

oldschyotkin1
Finale Version: V26.2.1.463

Post by oldschyotkin1 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:45 pm

Thanks for your replies, gentlemen. However, I've tried everything in your suggestions and can't seem to get it fixed. Yes, rebooting Finale fixes the problem for the current session. But, the next day I open the same file and the problem reappears....stuttering, distorted audio, at very slow tempo.

I'll file a trouble report with "The Boys".

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:28 pm

First off, there is a v26.3.1 which is considered a hot fix, I guess. Also, try experimenting with the buffer size. I found stuttering when it was too high. Next, the sample rate between Finale and Windows needs to match. Finale works best for me at 44.1k. Make sure Windows is also set to that. Lastly, ASIO does not work well for me. I use Direct Sound.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Arroyo2021
Finale Version: 26.3.1.643

Post by Arroyo2021 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:25 am

Michelp. You did it. Can't thank you enough! Sample rate had gotten switched. I had both Logic and Finale open at the same time and had gotten some Finale crashes. Somehow must have happened then.

All my best,

Dan