Loud-note irregularity

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

montedoro44
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by montedoro44 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:38 am

In the attached doc, when I use ctrl-spacebar or drag to play single notes or slide around to play a section, there is a VERY LOUD note that plays above the expected response. I nailed it to the presence of the hidden & muted staff 5 & 6 piano copy of the 1st 4 staves. When I delete 5 & 6, playback is normal. Export to xml to a new doc, retaining 5 & 6 also cured it, but is there something I can do to eliminate the playback problem in the original? Is it just one of those invisible gremlins? I have processed many downloaded songs like this one, generally xml downloads -- this problem just occurred twice today, never before.

dryan1
Finale Version: Finale v25
Operating System: Mac

Post by dryan1 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:00 am

I've always found some way of solving playback issues. You could create a new dynamic using a simple dot or period as the symbol and then change that new dynamic's volume to your liking. Then move the new dynamic (dot) inside the note head to hide it. Then create another dynamic (dot) to match the original dynamic marking so the notes that follow match the rest of the phrase. I hope this makes sense.

I've also run across a "Quirky" measure and removed the measure and then inserted a new measure and entered the notes again. One time a fermata was causing the problem and I removed the fermata and the problem went away, but I still needed the fermata. One big tip, I created a folder of dynamics that are all one volume level softer and another folder one volume level louder. So if all parts are forte and one line is louder and the mixer doesn't correct it, then remove the normal forte marking and replace it with one from the softer folder. Both are forte in appearance, but one plays back softer than the others - When you create the new ones, just change the volume number in the edit window. More later - - - David Ryan

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:54 am

In this file, if you change the mf dynamic key velocity to 70 or so, I think you will get a better result.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:23 pm

I totally misread the original issue. I thought you were talking about Spacebar-click play, which bypasses HP. Now I see you were talking about scrubbing. Different issue.

So, muting the hidden piano tracks doesn't actually mute them when scrubbing. To be able to really mute the hidden piano notes, you would need to mute the actual playback of each and every note. To easily do this use the JW Change plugin. Select the 2 piano staves, then select Note Entries/Playback and select Mute. This will solve the scrubbing problem. If you don't have the plugin, you can download it from Jari's website. Well worth it to have that, as well as other plugins he has created.

I muted the notes in those 2 staves and attached the revised file here.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."