Percussion Roll issues (HP)

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

dallascomposer
Finale Version: Finale 26.3.1.643
Operating System: Mac

Post by dallascomposer » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:11 pm

I am almost out of gin and I'm going insane.

Finale 26 / MacOS Catalina

I am transferring a series of scores made in 2014.5 into my current template.

I have created a series of HP triggers for percussion rolls in order to use GPO5's sampled rolls. So far it has all worked well. The 3-bar diddle articulation successfully gives me all of my unpitched percussion rolls: tambourine, castanet, triangle, etc.

Until now. For one of my percussion staves, I am getting apparent an inexplicable effect on the tremolos. For my tambourine rolls, for example, instead of changing the MIDI note from 72 to 73 (the sampled roll) as indicated in my HP settings (and which works on the second staff), it is playing a MIDI note 76 (Clave) and iterating the note as a manual diddle, so I get a sudden machine-gun clave. If I remove the diddle articulation, it plays as expected.

I changed the note to another instrument on the staff (e.g. cowbell): Still plays a machine-gun clave. No matter what other instruments I choose to change the note to, the tremolo/diddle articulation plays a manual roll on a clave at MIDI note 76. Universally, but just across this one staff. Even if I disable the HP sampled roll triggers, this still happens. Not just on one measure either. Any measure in this one percussion staff. Any percussion instrument in the patch. A 3-bar diddle articulation gives me a demon clave.

I am desperately trying to solve this so that I don't have to start completely from scratch tomorrow morning and scrap a day of work.

Again, the second percussion staff works exactly as expected with correct percussion rolls. Both are using the same Percussion Map, GPO5 patch (Percussion Accessories), and Percussion Layout. There is no change in this strange behavior if I set them to separate channels, or if I have them share a channel.

I cannot reproduce this problem in any of my templates.

Any ideas? I had thought this was just an error in Finale 26's built-in HP triggers like flutter tongue and timpani rolls, but my mysterious Angry Clave only shows up on this one staff.
Finale 27.4.1.146
MacOS 14.4.1 (sonoma)
iMac 2019; 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5
Graphics: Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB
RAM: 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

dallascomposer
Finale Version: Finale 26.3.1.643
Operating System: Mac

Post by dallascomposer » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:50 pm

So literally no idea what caused this, or how, but in a fit of Trying Random Things to See if They Work, I selected the entire staff and did Transpose Percussion notes, just to see if there were any unassigned percussion notes in my Layout. There were not. However, I clicked OKAY rather than cancel or ESC like I usually do, and then it magically worked. Problem over.

I did an Undo prior to the Transpose Percussion Notes dialogue, even though no percussion notes were changed, and the issue returned. But when I re-did the dialogue box, it fixed it. No idea why. There were no percussion notes missing from the Percussion Layout. I did not reassign any percussion notes. I just opened the dialogue box and clicked OK.
Finale 27.4.1.146
MacOS 14.4.1 (sonoma)
iMac 2019; 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5
Graphics: Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB
RAM: 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:53 pm

If you were using GIfF, I might be able to help. I don't have GPO5.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."